NAD C542 HDCD Player
Description: Over the years NAD has built up an enviable reputation for carefully engineered CD players offering superb sound and outstanding value. The Model C542 will further enhance this reputation with its excellent performance and ease of use at a very affordable price. As always, sonic performance is the first priority at NAD. Rather than adding many seldom used features or going for "overkill" on a single aspect of the design, the NAD engineers have concentrated on the design itself to offer the best performance possible at the price.

Submitted by authentic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
I paid USD420 for this piece of near-junk in Mar. 2007. Initially I bought a lower grade model (1 step down) and to my amazement, when I put put in the first CD, it wouldn't even work, couldn't read, i.e. wouldn't even spin, just dead. So I brought it back to the shop immediately, and got a new one. Tried it there, this time, when the salesman took the CD out, there was several droplets of water on it!!! I called up their service center and filed a complaint, and they recommended this "better version", the C542. Being 24 bit, the sound is better, acceptable.

After 1 year and 2 months, when the warranty JUST expired, this C542 started to skip tracks, always around the 4th/5th song, vertually with every CD (they're originals, and scratch free). I remember an old trick which I used with my previous CD player. So I opened the CD player and wiped the steel rod which the CD head travelled on with engine oil (any hardware store has it), as I figured the problem was caused by a slight tug at the same spot. It worked. No more skipping.

For the last 3 years, every 7-8 months, the same problem came up, and I had to do the same exercise.

I wouldn't advice anyone buying NAD junks unless you're prepared to face challenges that you never had with CD players in your life.

Product model year:   2007