Music Hall Maverick
MSRP  1990.00
Description: • Sony CXD2752 SACD decoder chip • 24-bit/96kHz upsampling via Crystal CS8420 sample rate converter • Burr-Brown PCM1738 24-bit/192kHz DAC for standard CD and SACD • Rigid full aluminum chassis and faceplate • Sony KHM 234AAA laser head and servo system • 2 transformers provide separate power to the analog and digital systems • Vibration-canceling dimpled rubber feet • Remote controllable standby/power function • Easily readable and dimmable florescent display

Submitted by Bruce Braynard a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2015

Bottom Line:
-Well, this late model Music Hall Maverick has come into my home for audition.
-This is the later version, called the Mkii, I think!?!!
-The serial number of the Mkii starts with 060, instead of 030, I have determined by web searching.
-I only have one SACD disk, but lots of 16 bit disks, and this player plays them all, even my computer burned disks.
-Another SACD disk is due here today, also a sampler disk.
-I find this player nice sounding on redbook disks, and terrific on an SACD.
-The output op amps are a pair of OPA2604's. Going to a pair of OPA2134's or 4 OPA627BP's brightens up this players sound, with better detail, but listening on a pair of Klipsch LaScalas I found the originals just right, for my liking. Your speakers and hearing will dictate which op amp you prefer. Just know you have this option with this player, as these chips are "socketed".
-I do like the sound and imaging of this player, especially with a SACD.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Dale Lewis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have not had ant of the issues that I have heard from the top 5 'philes.
The only issue that I experienced is that the power supply setting that I had selected on my Power Plant, P-300. A tweak of the PP-300 settings and all was happy.
This player has a good convincing sound without adding those tripping it the out door effects that many players exhibit. Much like the comparing a real sounding pair of headphones compared to those many that put your head in outer space for the music. I can find many comments that I can state about many players. This player has gotten out of the way and played the music without hoopla or lethargy

Purchased At:   Godd Guys

Submitted by BigThistle a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
Purchased a modified Maverick with upgraded OP amps - smoother more extended midrange and bass.

I have this in my system with ELAC Dolce Vita speakers powered by a 50wpc AI integrated tube amp with KT88's and PNF Audio speaker and power cables.

The playback of redbook CD's is outstanding, jury is out on the upsampling, and I'm still not convinced by SACD. I also get a 'hum-hum' sound on SACD at higher volume.

The unit has performed well, although it does have it's quirks - such as 'undisk' and takes time to read some disks - but nothing that makes me want to get rid of it.

Purchased At:   www.undergroundaudio

Submitted by libertasdon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
The Maverick CD/SACD player looks very impressive and matches up well with the Music Hall Mambo Class A amplifier in my living room. But looks are deceiving. The Maverick has had a number of defects that go right to issue of quality in high end audio. Over the time I have had it, the Maverick has on at least a half-dozen occasions suddenly stopped playing program material and has sent a LOUD hissing noise to the Magnaplanar 1.6qr's that complete my system. Additionally, and more frequently, the Maverick has emitted a loud electric hum when playing certain cd's. The hum or rumble was audible over the program and lasted for as long as 4 to 5 minutes before fading. Unlike the loud white noise, the hum was consistent and repeatable. I emailed Music Hall and requested advice, but they never responded. My dealer initially acted surprised, but eventually admitted there were "issues" with early Mavericks. It required a week's time and a second call from the dealer before the authorized repair person returned my message and gave me directions to his shop. From my home to his shop involved a 70-mile, one-way trip over 3 Los Angeles area freeways. When I got there, he was courteous, but noncommittal. He took a check for $60 and generously loaned me a Jolida tube-based CD player to use while mine remained with him. Later he called to say he could not reproduce the hiss, but thought he had a fix for it anyway. He had observed the loud hum on startup and advised he could fix it too for $200. I gave him the go ahead and returned the next day with one of my discs that elicited the hum. Hey. No hum. I have played the Maverick intensively since I got it back and the hum has not reappeared. Neither has the white noise. But last night the Maverick refused to read one of my SACD's and played another only with constant skipping. Although it was Sunday evening, I called the repairer and explained the situation. He stated that it sounded like a new board was needed and he would install one for free. He offered the opinion that super audio was too complex and led to many similiar problems across the industry. He strongly advised that I stay away from SA. I did not tell him I just ordered the complete set of Beethoven's symphonies in super audio.

Purchased At:   Digital Ear, Tustin,

Submitted by O'Reilly a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
I purchased this as a DEMO Unit.

This is a product with tremendous potential. The sound quailty is quite impressive. The sound is clean and tight, with decent imagery and body. The sound-staging is good (though not outstanding) for its price category. Playback on normal CD's are outstanding. Upsampling produces a slightly different though not better (in my opinion) sound.SACD Playerback produces a richer, more "analog" sounding playback. Quite good.

In spite of its solid build quality, I don't think that this player has been fully developed.

The Transport is not the quietest device around. Certainly for a $1500 player, you expect less noise.

It takes forever (well at least 10 seconds) to regognise a disk. In some cases, it refuse to acknowlegde the presence of a disk. For me this means that four of my favourite CD's (Bill Evan, Charles Mingus, Alecia Keys, and Creed) have to be listened to in my car. It is really quite annoying.

Also recently I started hearing a strange vibrating noise when player CD's. Its quite unnerving. I am still trying to figure out what that is about.

So in general, this player is a mixed bag. When it decides to read the disks it produces great sound for the price. However, for the price, you expect better consistency and reliability.

Purchased At:   Red Trumpet.com