Krell KAV-280cd
Description: Krell traditional Class A, direct coupled complementary output circuitry provides both balanced and single ended outputs.

Submitted by RRR a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
Krell has always made great audio gear, and the KAV 280cd is no exception. It is built to state of the art standards and will last forever. The sound is quite pleasing:

Top-End: Nicely Rolled-Off.
Midrange: Sweet
Bottom-End: Deep & Well Articulated

It is a very good player that uses the same Burr-Brown 1704 chip set as 25K Naim. Hence, the sweet midrange and relaxed overall sound. As with digial source components, the Krell KAV 280cd is very sensitive to line grunge. I have just upgraded to Siltech Ruy Hill, which take performance up a level. There are better players out there, but at between $1,500-$2,000 the Krell KAV 280cd is tough to beat.

Purchased At:   SpearitSound

Submitted by Beatledennis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
Short version: In a back to back test in my home, there was NO difference between this Krell KAV 280 CD player and a 1985 Sony player!

Long version: I recently borrowed the Krell KAV 280 demo unit and tried it in my system. I was looking to upgrade from my Sony cdp-70 which I bought for $150 in 1986. I hooked up the Krell and went back and forth with my old Sony and I was astonished to find that there was no discernible difference. Over several days, I listened to a large variety of genres of music, at various volume levels, etc but nothing made a difference. My wife thought the highs were a little smoother, but at best it was a very subtle difference.

I'm not here to bash Krell. I have nothing against their amps or other equipment. I just felt compelled to relate my story. For $3500, I expect to hear a pretty dramatic improvement in sound. Since I've been upgrading my system, I've heard big improvements with new speakers (Dynaudio Audience 82) and amp (Musical Fidelity A308 Integrated). If anyone has a rational, reasonable explanation for why I heard no difference with the Krell, I'd be glad to hear it, but after this experience, I feel you'd be crazy to spend that kind of money on this player.

Submitted by trumpetbri a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is the highest of high end I've heard. Previously owned mid-fi CD players, and this is a HUGE improvement over them! Incredible sweet warm detail with no edge in the treble, and 3D soundstage and punch that will lift you out of your seat! Makes my Maggie MG-12 speakers sound like there's a subwoofer built in! I'm hearing imaging in recordings I've never heard before. You can actually hear acoustics of halls symphony orchestra's recorded in! Wow!! Overall an Incredible player that deserves a lot more press and raves!

Purchased At:   Ovation

Submitted by couldbe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have been trying to make a decision if I should go the Meridian or Krell. Fortunately, I have been able to audition both units at home before making a decision. I have backed to backed these units for about two days now, and I have had a tough time deciding. I have always been partial to Meridian products but I believe in the long run the Krell wins out. The one partticular thing that stands out in the Meridian, is that it has air around the instruments. I only wish that the Krell had the same quaility. The Krell has a very nice detailed 3D soundstage that makes it different from the Meridian. It is not any better, but different. Both units are great sounding, and Krell is to be commended for producing this puppy. It is a fantastic sounding unit! The vocals came across better in the Krell. They were more elevated than the Meridian. With the Krell the music goes way beyond the speakers and the instruments are more up front. I have been pursing this sound for quite a while. Stringed instruments are really "live" sounding. I play guitar, so I know what a guitar should sound like, and Krell produces it quite well. It is especially good at placing all the instruments in their place, causing you to look around, if you sit in the dark and listen like I do! The Krell puts out quit a bit more bass compared to the Meridian.

Submitted by chinman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
This review is for the kav-300cd. Formerly used the Sony dvp-9000es as cdp.
Used in conjunction w/ my kav-500 amp and hst1 preamp, the detail is nothing short of awe inspiring. The image focus is amazing. Take advantage of the balanced inputs. Great bargain if you can find one used.
Krell is notorious for great customer service. They really stand behind their products.