Kenwood CD-3260M

Submitted by Ed Coyne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
For the price, this is a great unit. I got it on EBAY for about $165.0 including shipping. I have no complaints about the sound quality although once I got this I had to go shopping for a new receiver so I could use the digital coaxial output.

Submitted by Bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a life-changing machine. Once I put in all the info (a tedious afternoon's work), I never had to touch a CD again, except to add it into the jukebox. I've never had ANY problems with my unit. (They tell you not to move it around with CDs inside. If you knock it around, discs can get out of position. But mine has never ever had a problem from normal operation.) I set mine up with favorites playlist and by music type. So I can listen to my rock anthems all day, or to my classical collection, whatever fits my mood. I have a matching Kenwood receiver, so the name of whatever track is playing reads out on the remote control. Way cool! And I got it for $225.

Submitted by Ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
The problem that I experienced with my first unit happened again. The transport tried to load two discs at the same time and jammed the machine. I pulled the cover off and managed to work them back out and into the carousel-a little hard with big hands. Pulled out all my discs and took it back for a refund.

The transport on this machine obviously is designed poorly and I am disappointed with Kenwood. I am going with the Pioneer PD-F1039 which holds 300 discs and has a keyboard input for titling. The 1007 had some problems with losing it's memory and the 1039 is their newer model. Looks like Pioneer addressed the problem with this model.

Submitted by Matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
This CD player looks great with my VR-3090. It also works great. I was concerned because I had read that this CD player doesn't play CD-R's. This is only partially correct. The first CD-R that I put in to play did not work. I was extremely disappointed. Then I tried another. It worked fine and sounded great. Out of the dozens of CD-R's that I made, only two did not work. Those two were made by my friend for me almost 2 years ago. I don't know if it was his old burner or software, but they don't work. The CD-R's that I made for myself work fine.

The only problem that I have is that there seems to be a noticable amount of mechanical noise coming from the unit when it is searching, moving, and loading discs. It isn't anything to get worked up over, but it is there.

I bought mine from ubid for just under $170 after shipping.

Submitted by Ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
I was in the market for a disc changer of either 200 or 300 capacity for under $300. I ruled out Pioneer's 1007 after reading about problems with the memory getting deleted and losing all the disc titles. Picked up my Kenwood for $250 at Circuit City. I've seen it there recently for $189! The unit worked and sounded great but I noticed it had trouble with a couple of my discs. It wouldn't read a cdr and also skipped on another brand new disc. My crappy portable Aiwa played both of these fine. (Red flag!) Right after my 30 day return policy expired, the unit locked up during random play. The carousel wouldn't turn and all my discs were in it. I purchased the esp for $40-something I never do-so it was covered for repair but not exchange. Circuit City held the unit for 3 days and still hadn't sent it to their service center for repair. I decided to persuade the manager to let me open the unit to get the discs out and convinced her to exchange it for a new one. She was very understanding and reasonable to deal with. We agreed that if I damaged it in opening it then I would void the warranty. The case comes off very easily. There were 2 discs stuck in the loading mechanism which caused it to jam. After removing them, the machine seemed to work fine. I still opted for the exchange due to the problems it had before.

The new unit has worked great and Circuit City said that if I had problems with it I could exchange for a different brand. So far, so good.

By the way; the DTS option is cool but there are only a handful of audio discs encoded for it. Hopefully more will come out in the future. Havn't tried any yet.