Kenwood CD-204
Description: 5-disc carousel changer

Submitted by dlitt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
Gotta say something good about a dumpster find. Looks brand new after wiping dust of it. Good to know someone didn't think much of the remote 'cause it wasn't in the dumpster with the CD changer. Works great. Unfortunately it doesn't read RW disks. Can't complain - the price is right. I'll give it 5 stars for value - ha ha.

Purchased At:   Dumpster

Submitted by Joe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
Ok, I have upgraded my good system and this player is delegated to "mop up" duties in the bedroom. However as it may seem it still keeps on working. I've moved 5 times in the 3 years since i've had it and it seems like every time I move, something else in my system doesn't work anymore. Not this.
Sound quality is what you would expect from a $150 dollar changer, but isn't that bad actually. My new system has a 400 dollar Onkyo changer and its almost that good. (The Kenwood doesn't have optical outs and the Onkyo does though...through optical, the Onkyo blows it away).
Yeah, i'd recommend this to a person on a budget, or for a teenagers "first" system. Simple controls, decent sound, good price. There are better in the market, but for any better and you'll be spending much more.

Submitted by Aaron a

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
the unit is very durable! b/c there is no power butto on the reote i leave the unit on 24/7 and no problems so far. I have had the unit for about 1 1/2 years and Im very plese with it. I say that the unit is very durable b/c my unit has gone though a lot of bangs. One time, i left my stereo on while my bro was taking a nap in the next room a i guess he blew a fuse ad went into my room and threw a football at my stereo and it hit the kenwood dead on and knocked it of the stand onto the ground (about a 3ft fall) I set it back up and tested erything in a panic and fund nothing to be wrong with it. Holy cow. I believe Kenwood has struck gold with this unit.

Submitted by Mike a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
Like all Kenwood products, this CD Player is reliable and is affordable. It have all the options you expect from a CD player of this category.

But like all Kenwood products, the sound is somewhat of poor quality. There's no detail and precision in the sound.

For the price, it's an average player though.

3 stars for the value, 2 stars for the sound you get from it. At this price, you can find better with JVC and Sony products. But at this price range, don't expect something to sound too good...

Submitted by Rey Uy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had this cd player for about 2 years. It has been a great product through its time in my home theater/stereo. This thing has some of the best imaging ive heard from budget cd player. It can hang with my 10 bit sony dvd player with digital output. Bass output is great. The design is very straight foward and could be used by practically anyone in the household. Has no trouble playing cd-r's either. It can also play minorly scratched cds with ease. The only problem i can find is that is there is no power button on the remote, which isnt really a problem for me since the power is switched through my receiver. Another problem is that there is no digital output for dts and direct digital recording. Other than that its it a great value. With this unit you get what you pay for and more. Great for people on a budget and entry level listeners.

Purchased At:   Circuit City