BetterCables Silver Serpent S-Video Video/Digital Cables

4.71/5 (48 Reviews) MSRP : $44.95

Price starting at 1 meter. Dual 30 AWG stranded tinned copper conductors with foam high density polyethylene insulation. Hand-terminated with Silver solder

Submitted by jimmerfum23 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was really excited to try this cable after all the great reviews I've seen here. I unplugged my Monster M500 S-Video and hooked everything up (i got 3: dvd-to-reciever, reciever-to-plasma, dtv-to-reciever) and got ready to be blown away. the result? eh, it's alright. no improvement. maybe i should wait 20 hours or so. the result? eh, it's "ok". don't get me wrong, it's a very good product. great color saturation, minimal artifacts, great black repro, and definitely a good smooth film-like quality, however it's not worth $56 a piece, that's for sure. if it gets better miraculously, i'll be sure to write a full retraction.

Purchased At:   BetterCables.com

Submitted by BigWilly a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
The black levels I saw using this cable were fabulous. I was watching Lord of the Rings S.E. and the scenes showed exceptional detail. I own a 32" WEGA, and the differences between this and other cables, was VERY noticeable.

Purchased At:   bettercables.com

Submitted by krusty46 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
I reviewed these cables in May of last year and although I didnt totally trash them, I may have underestimated them.
I recently bought a new Progressive Scan DVD player. Actually, I bought 2 of them (let me explain).
I first bought a Toshiba 5700. I hooked it up to the my Sony 36XBR400 and did a split screen comparison, with a lot of going back and forth between inputs at full screen, watching the same movies (Phantom Menace, Shrek, etc) on both players at the same time to compare this new Progressive DVD player to my old Toshiba 3109.
I had the 5700 hooked up via Monster Cable Video 3 Component cables and the 3109 hooked up via the BetterCables S-video cable. "This 5700 DVD player is a piece of crap" I thought. The colors seemed washed out compared to my older non-progressive scan DVD player. I returned the 5700 and picked up the new Denon DVD-900.
Again, same problem. The colors on the Denon player seemed washed out. In addition to the colors seeming washed out and with my wife and father in the room, we all tried to determine which player had a sharper/clearer picture. We couldn'y clearly pick one player over the other.
"How can this be I thought?" I then decide to switch the cable connections on the 2 players.
I ain't the smartest man in the world, but I know that a $90 Component video cable is supposed to look better than a $50 S-video cable. Especially when the $90 cable is hooked up to a progressive scan DVD player on a digital TV.
So not only did I throw $40 away when I bought the Monster Cable instead of buying another BetterCables S-video cable, but I returned what was probably a perfectly fine Toshiba 5700 DVD player and spent $50 more on the Denon model.
That $90 could have bought me a BetterCables Component video cable, which is what I'm probably going to do now anyway.
So, in conclusion, I would like to retract my previous post of 3 stars and change it to 5 stars for value and give it 4 stars overall . I'm still not saying its the greatest cable I have ever used, but it is indeed a great deal for the price and it is a very good cable overall.

Purchased At:   www.bettercables.com

Submitted by Robert_73 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
Even with an interlaced system, I could see a visible improvement over my old Radio Shack cable. Colors are very rich and vibrant and the overall picture looks much cleaner.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Clay a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
This cable is great. I ordered one to try on my satellite receiver and I was really amazed at the difference. I was so pleased that I ordered two more. The cable also brought out more detail in my dvd picture. Everything seems so crisp and clear. Ordering from the website was a good experience. I will definitely buy from them again when I upgrade to a tv that has component inputs.

Purchased At:   bettercables.com