XLO Reference 2 Type 1a Speaker Cables

Submitted by macone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
First a qualifier>>
I live in the middle of no-where,and it's a 4 hour drive to the nearest decent stereo shop,so I have to be very selective about what i devote time to listen to when I get there.I have found the reviews here to be the best tool for research available.Thanx to all who contribute!
My current setup is all tube,and I have spent the last year with interconnects by van Den Hul(the second).When I bought them,I was running solid state,and they were great,but when I went back to tubes,they proved too soft in frequency extension.Since , i have listened to Cardas,Audioquest,monster(crap!),Siltech mxt,Kimber,and a few others.
Are there better cables out there than these? You betcha!
But there are far worse,and some of them cost upwards of $2000 a metre.The $6000 Synergistics were way cool,but i tend to eat almost daily,so those weren't gonna be comin' home with me.
I also find no need for oil-cooled wires to hear music either.
So,what about these XLOs?
Damn fine cable.Open,detailed,completely un-coloured.Ordered the half metre pair,arrived the next day.Bit of a tight fit on my vintage amp,but fine on the modern stuff.I had felt that I was not getting the most out of my Triangle Celius',and was right...the XLOs opened them right up.Stage is wide,deep,solid.
Are they giant-killers??