Transparent Audio MusicWave Plus Speaker Cables

3.95/5 (19 Reviews)

Speaker Cable

Submitted by Phil Hicks a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2016

Bottom Line:
I owned the original series MusicWave cables bought in 2001. I went to a hifi specialist to select a system and after a lot of swapping components chose a Micromega TDrive/TDac CD player, Copland hybrid amp and B&W CDM1SE speakers. It sounded great but it still didnt have the back of the hands tingle magic. OK said the demonstrator, we have one piece to add... and swapped out the speaker and interconnect cables for MusicWave. In their properly damped room and perfect listening position the result was incredible, the only way i can describe it is that the speaker boxes disappeared and the music hung in the air by itself. Until then I had laughed at anyone who bought cables with anything more than a bit of silver plating, but suddenly my ears changed my opinion. Many tracks suddenly raised hairs on the back of my hands as they should. 15 years on I have moved house and the cables are too short so I picked up some longer used MM1 (second generation) MusicWave PLUS. I honestly didnt expect them to be any better, I just wanted the same magic but with longer cables. Especially since I have covered this room in 2 inches of rocksilk insulation and turned the space between the ceiling joists into a ceiling bass trap, so the room is an optimised listening space. I changed one cable - hold on - there is a load more detail on that side straight away. Change the other and bingo! yes the magic has stepped up a level. Its odd, its not that the music is harsher but it is crisper while still being smooth. Its as though there is more space between the sounds so they stand out clearer. They dont sound much different, just a bit clearer, a bit more dynamic, a bit crisper. This effect seems evenly spread across the frequency spectrum, the bass is a step more musical, tighter and with more tone (from the harmonic clarity maybe). Strings and acoustic sounds are a shade more vibrant and authentic. Bowed strings sound convincing, and drum skins, hihat and cymbal sizzle, all sounds that easily get muddled, are identifiable and separate clearly from the rest of the music. MusicWave are awesome cables, MusicWave Plus is another step more awesome. I would happilly go back to the standard model but the Plus is a nice to have.

Various people mention soft highs with Transparent Cables. When checking this room with acoustic measurement software I found that the system reproduces pretty much dead flat to 20kHz. I cant hear much past 14K these days, but I never heard any rolloff, even when my ears were 15 years younger, nor does my music engineer son who can still hear the bats :)

What I dont doubt is that cables sound will be system dependant especially Transparent which include an amp inductance load in the box to match the amp to the networked cables. Some amps may not like that at all.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by osteo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Music Wave (not MW Plus). Had the choice b/t the Cardas Quadlink and the Music Wave.. as demo cables used in the store. The salesman informed me that the Music Wave would give a detailed rendition of the music clear mid's and highs. The Cardas Quad he said would offer a more smooth tone and not as clear with lows (more muddied). He also suggested with using Solid State equipment that the MW would be the way to go, as Cardas is designed and built with tube gear in mind.

We took the MW home (with a trial period) and I hooked it up all last night. My system consists of the Arcam Alpha 10 Receiver and the Rotel RB991 powering the Martin Logan Ascents. I prefer the Arcam over the Rotel to power the panels as I find it gives a smoother, and cleaner sound over the Rotel. The RB991 was used to power the 8" driver in the Ascent!.

There is a review below where the gentleman flat out says the MW are junk... this review I think may shed some light onto that..

Our test was both done with some critical listening and then some more casual listening (while having dinner). We used Holy Cole (Don't smoke in Bed), St. Germain, Diana Krall and Diane Reeves as our test CD's.

We then swapped in the MW first from the Rotel 991 (200W per channel) to the Ascents Panel. Basically we found that it gave us more detail, and a fuller sound. Vocals seemed more realistic,smooth and centre stage with the instruments being clearer, highs were high and mid's were clear. In short we were pleased with the results... there were parts of Diana Krall (stepping out CD) that I did not realize before... such as the tone changes and reverbration with the guitar cords...

We then put the MW from the Arcam to the Panel of the Ascent... the first note from the Diana Krall CD - was just HORRIBLE. Very tinny, like someone had one of those very old little black hand held radio's tuned to a radio station and just on full volume with the speaker blown! - horid, scrathy, no depth, no nothing... I would have taken them back if I did not have them on the Rotel first. So, in short I agree with that other review... We continued to play through the other CD's on the list - but even with St. Germain with no vocals, the cables did not perform - my Ultralink Speaker Cable (12g Spool wire) was much better.

So, the end results... the Music Wave, are a nice cable, when combined with the Rotel Amp, full of body, nice details. When combined with the Arcam ... not worth the trip to pick them up.

I am still curious about the Cardas Quadlink... my gut feeling tells me that I would get the same results from the Quadlink when hooked up the the Arcam as the Amp as I am getting from the Music Wave hooked up to the Rotel.

Submitted by muzz777 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
go listen for yourself. these are terrible. I pulled them from my system for acoustic zen . see below

Purchased At:   intech

Submitted by stereo nut a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
Bought these cables after store graciously loaned me a lesser grade set for ten days. Had been using Monster cable on my Carver Amazing silver ed. (not bi-wireable)These are 15' long, which is more than I'd like but required by the room layout. They are now well broken in, and my best non-tech description is that it's like I took a blanket off of the speakers. Have not had the chance to try any other brand of "audiophile" cables. A comment made by the salesman was "you don't realize you have noise till its gone". I now believe that. The Carver speakers are power hungry, and in the days when I still used zip cord, I was feeding them throught a coffee straw. Now I'm feeding them through a garden hose and they really like it! Improved sound in all respects was as big a step over Monster, than Monster was over zip cord. I amalso finding that I set my tone controls to "flat" on most two channel, but occaisionally will kick them back in on a dvd.

Purchased At:   Definitive Audio, Be

Submitted by David a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
These cables were purchased to tame the mildly bright sound of my Thiel speakers.They not only did the trick in that regard,but I was pleasantly surprised at the improvement in bass response in my system,and the soundstage expanded in all dimensions.Highly recommended;especially for bright or forward sounding systems.

Sanus: