Tara Labs The One Speaker Cables

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by Bob Berryman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
For me,this may be the biggest upgrade so far,I paid 900 off audiogon and I absolutely love it.It has taken my system to a whole new level.This cable is really musical,fast and not the littlest bit bright.Iam listening at a lower volume.Iam using the one between pre and amp,(AR 15 and plinius SA250).So far Iam enjoying xlo signature 3 feeding into the pre,cd player, phono stage etc.Back to the one ism,it really is the one, twice as good as any other cable Ive tried,and its a keeper.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Art S. a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
I did a home audition of a dealer's demo1m. pair of "The One", in XLR version and with the "Solo" GS. The One does many things as well as a cable can be expected to do - except IMO it fails in one important area: large-scale (macro) dynamics. In this respect, The One is akin to a high-quality FM broadcast, whereas some of its contemporaries (AQ, NBS, Synergistic Research, XLO, etc.) are more like a good analog or digital rig in comparison, dynamics-wise. The One just didn't have the 'swing' that some other models did; it couldn't get the cresendos and peaks of the performance out of the components. I decided to return them to the dealer.

I try not to be too biased for or against any competent brand or design. I'm just trying, like many 'philes are, to get the best-sounding components for my listening tastes and budget. The One's dynamic deficiencies stood out almost immediately in my system, so there is no point in discussing the other parameters pro or con. To me, reproduced music can't begin to sound like a live event until you can begin to get the 'big swings' right. C'ya, Tara.

I think The One i/c's would be most happy with acoustic and smaller-scale music, which is fine if that's your main musical diet. For that, it probably deserves a 4 to 5 star overall rating. But for $2195./meter retail, I expect much more.

Nice packaging, though!

Purchased At:   Sound Essentials (Vermont)

Submitted by John Lum a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
This time, I am reviewing Tara Labs’ The One PC. I’ll call it TOPC for short.

I used TOPC on a variety or equipment, including tuners, CD players, transports, DACs, preamps, power amps, and powerline conditioners. Rarely have I had such a difficult time, pinning down the sound of a component. TOPC sounded different, depending on what I hooked it up to. Or were the components themselves the ones sounding different?

On the Theta Jade, I thought the sound became kind of homogeneous and murky. On the Jade, Tara’s Decade AC sounded clearer. On the Fanfare FM FT-1 and Creek T43, TOPC produced a balanced, grain-free sound. So I ended up using the TOPC on my AudioPrism Debut II/Red Rose Music Model Two power amp. TOPC allowed this amp to perform at a level I didn’t think possible. All sonic parameters improved, yet, nothing seemed highlighted or missing. I have known the RRM2 to be a neutral amp. But until I hooked up TOPC, I did not know how detailed, dynamic, refined, transparent, and evenly-scaled this amp really is. Here I was blaming the somewhat bland sound on interconnects, tubes, speaker cables, and upstream components. Some of that is true, but TOPC wiped out at least half of my complaints.

I now have Tara Labs’ The One Digital, The One balanced interconnect, and TOPC. I have only heard The One speaker cable at dealers’ showrooms. But from my brief exposure to that cable, I think it sounds pretty much the same as the rest of The One line. Never before have I encountered a line of cables where each type (i.e., digital coax, line-level interconnect, speaker, and power cord) sounds like each other. In my experiences with the various The One products, they are self-effacing, quiet, grain-free, and neutral. They seem to get out of the way, and let the electronics speak for themselves. This is what you want out of a cable. I just wish this stuff weren’t so expensive!

If you are interested in TOPC, let me add a few more comments. (1) First of all, this is a THICK and stiff cable. You can order it in any length, but it still may put strain on your components’ IEC jacks. (2) If you have components whose IEC jack is located underneath the belly (e.g., Counterpoint and Mark Levinson), you won’t be able to use TOPC, unless you prop up the component. Go instead with a thinner power cord, like Tara Labs Master AC or Synergistic Research AC Master Coupler. (3) The stock color is black, but you can order it in a clear/white jacket for no additional cost. The clear jacket looks much better, attractive, and elegant than the butt-ugly black jacket. (4) At $1195 for a six-foot piece, TOPC is intended for upper-echelon components. Yes, TOPC made my tuners perform at their absolute highest, but c’mon, only a reviewer would use TOPC on equipment that costs less than the TOPC itself.

Submitted by John Lum a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
CAVEAT:
I am reviewing the balanced interconnect only. I have not auditioned the speaker cable or unbalanced interconnect. If I am fortunate enough to evaluate those products, I will at that time review them.

ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT:
Theta DS Pro Basic IIIa and Pro Prime IIa
Mark Levinson No. 380 and Classe' Thirty
Classe' CA-100 and Muse Model 100

How do you describe something that has little or no sound of its own? This is the dilema, when auditioning products as neutral and transparent as Tara Labs' The One balanced interconnect (TOBI). TOBI sounds fine right out of the box, and after a two-week burn-in period, simply disappears. However, if you do not use an Analog Floating Ground Station, the sound will noticeably deteriorate. The soundstage shrinks, and grain sets in.

If you want to hear what your balanced components sound like, then you absolutely must check out TOBI. If you want your cable to be a tone control, then pick something else.

Yes, I admit that TOBI, especially when you add a Floating Ground Station, is expensive. But I've heard many more expensive cables, and can tell you that TOBI is simply more honest. And TOBI is much more open, airy, extended, dynamic, fleshed-out, and detailed than Tara Labs' lower-priced cables.

TOBI is among the best out there at any price. TOBI is a true five-star product. I'm lowering the ratings of all other cables by at least one-and-a-half stars. Save your money, angst, and whining, and buy Tara Labs' TOBI.

Submitted by Vajrayana a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 24, 1999

Bottom Line:
Cables were the last major purchases for the system which includes all Audio Research electronics and Dynaudio speakers.

After changing from the Audioquest cables that were purchased with the system to the Tara's everything opened up. Nothing else that was tried even came close to these interconnects and speaker cables.

Words cannot describe the sound, you must here these to believe.

Name the one band you MUST see live.

I had a rather large bucket list but knocked off most of them over the last 5 years, especially Bob Dylan last fall. I know I'm really late to the party, but I've never seen Neil Young, David Bowie, or the Stones live. If I had to pick one, it would be nearly impossible. Nearly I say, but I think Bo ... Read More »

One of the worst halftime shows ever!

What trash! If I wanted to see bimbos in their underwear thrusting their crotch at me and pole dancing, I would just go to the strip club. If the girl had any real talent, she would not need to distract with that crap. But if she just stood there and sang, she probably would not have that many fans. ... Read More »

Any one into The Mystery?

I picked up The World Is A Game, I haven't listened to the whole things yet but sounds pretty good. I noticed they were from Canada and wondered if any one here was into them, I also noticed this is their 7th album, my first though. My first impression they are melodic with a retro Prog flavor. A ... Read More »

RIP to one of the best pickers that ever lived...Doc Watson.

[B]Doc Watson, Folk Musician, Dies at 89[/B] Doc Watson, the guitarist and folk singer whose flat-picking style elevated the acoustic guitar to solo status in bluegrass and country music, and whose interpretations of traditional American music profoundly influenced generations of folk and rock gu ... Read More »

wanna read a funny one, brain surgeon almost loses the RING

things almost went Awry; when the brain surgeon gets creative with his proposal :) [url=http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/marriage-proposal-goes-awry-brain-surgeon-loses-ring-164800976.html]Marriage proposal goes awry when brain surgeon loses ring in the sand | The Lookout - Yahoo! News[/url]Read More »

FGH 26: