Tara Labs Prism D-2 Digital Speaker Cables

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Digital Interconnect

Submitted by gilbert a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
Upgraded to Tara Labs RSC prime 500 speaker cable and was so pleased that I decided to try their D2 digital cable. Noticed improvements in clarity, detail, and overall dynamics, but the best improvement was in how smooth and sweet the sound came across. Definately a reference digital cable. Easy five stars all the way!!

Submitted by Terry Stanard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've been experimenting with digital cables. Two models I recently compared in a face-off were the prism d-2 and a cord called the Sonic horizon "hurricane" from a small company called hcmaudio.com.

The prism d-2 has great imaging properties. It also has great dynamic impact with synthetic music, like drum machines and keyboards. The downside is that it is 'edgy' with analog music, like vocals and traditional instruments. Such things sound a bit over-processed or tinty.

By comparison, the sonic horizon hurricane has the exact opposite performance specs. It does not perform as expertly with synthesized sounds, but on analog signals, it performs beatifully. Voices sound much more natural and pleasing to hear. Pianos and guitars come across as natural.

Both cost about the same ($70-$80). I like the sonic horizon a bit better, because they have a 30-day return policy (not sure about tara labs - my dealer has return policy but may be specific to them yawaaudio.com).

Submitted by John Lee a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
Although I originally thought that digital cables were all the same-sounding this cable soon proved me wrong. This cable BLOWS AWAY the Hosa optical cable I was using to hook up my Sony DVP-S550 dvd player to my Sherwood Newcastle pre/processor. The Tara Labs D-2 delivers a smoothness to music and 5.1 movie soundtracks that is SUPERB! Although the cable is far from being totally broken in, I heard subtle sounds in such movies as the matrix, bugs life, and fifth element.
For the price of a 1 meter cable,$95, you just can't go wrong, unless your equipment sucks in the first place :( Otherwise, use this great cable on all your digital souces and you will notice unprecedented smoooothness. Man, I can only now imagine what "the One" digital cable must sound like.. I give this cable FIVE stars. Happy Listening!

Submitted by Dat Nguyen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
I dont know about the review below, but my Tara Labs D-2 Digital cable is 1 meter and lists for about $100. This was probably the most expensive single interconnect that I've bought but I have to say, it was worth it. The sound is open and I hear so much detail. The bass has improved tremendously. Because of the price I got it for, I have to give it this rating.

Submitted by Craig a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 1999

Bottom Line:
I liked the Tara a lot and had planned to buy it that is until I compared it to the Twisted Pair Designs Dfn Digital cable. The Dfn clearly blew the Tara and the Harmonic Tech. cables away. The Harmonic Tech cable had Impedence problems. I believe it's around 110ohms. Not only that it didn't even come close to the TPD cable. The TPD cable only comes in 1.5meter because the company believes this to be the best sound and they're right. The cable had the best soundstaging, smoothest bass, and cleanest highs I've heard from a digital cable. I used to be a non believer in cable differences but I'm now a believer. This cable lists for $200 and is worth every penny. It sounds great in DD, DTS, and stereo. I also use their S video and had them make me a DB-25 which did wonders for my processor. any questions ? I give the TPD Dfn 5 stars,all the way Legends99@aol.com

TARA LABS: