Tara Labs Prism 22 Speaker Cables

3.72/5 (18 Reviews)

(See reviews)

Submitted by Vincent Chin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Prism 22 is a resonable price mid-range interconnects, its solid core technology sounds attractives and the cables itself look solid too. The pac kage even came with all the technical datas concerning this product, the best is that it even have a name cards with the QC's stamps endorsed on it.
The sign of serious quality control. I've read through magazines e.g What's Hi-Fi and Hi_fi Choice about various interconnects and cables, compairing them ( various bland names). They came into two main categories:
A) Goertz Alpha Core series, Tara Labs, Audio Quests.
B) Van Den Hul, QED qunex, Nordorst Blue heaven/ Red Dawn.
I've auditioned and used those cables above-mentioned in my system and one factor I noticed is that, there are literally two main group of manufactures, the British and the Americans companies. Most of the British cables are highly recomended by What's Hi-Fi/ Hi-Fi Choice, but in comparison it is those cables from the American companies tha stands out against their British Compatriots.
For examples it is the Goertz and Tara Labs that wins here, they are bigger in diameters and are solid cores. The others are just multi strands cables and looks thin.
This shows that the American companies are using more materials in their products and also the prices are more reasonable in contrast to the British Ones. On conclusion, this is only my personal views and I hope no one will feel offended. Last but not least, the overall performances of a systems does not only depends on the cables, the components will play a more important roll.

Purchased At:   Ocean Electronics S'

Submitted by A Advani a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
[This same review is posted at this website for the AQ Viper also, as it is a comparative test review that I made].

Some interconnect cable comparisons, and how I did the tests.

First – the equipment :
Sony CD-X779ES player
Krell KRS-2 preamp
Krell KASA100S power amp
Chario Academy-II speakers

The Krell KRS-2 preamp has 2 inputs which can be matched to have the same input and CD filtering properties. So the first thing I did was to adjust the DIP switches so that all CD filtering at the CD input was in by-pass mode [as is the AUX input on the KRS-2].
Now I have 2 identical inputs to make instant comparative tests with.
The 779ES player has 2 single-ended outputs, one of which is via the variable gain control. This cannot be bypassed, so one still will need to switch cables between the two to eliminate any disparity due to this.

I connected AudioQuest VIPER from one output and a “non-brand” cheap cable on the other output. Connected each pair of cables to the preamp’s 2 inputs.
Now you can sit in the listening position and have a friend switch between the 2 inputs on the amp’s selector.

The differences between various cables tested was quite subtle at first, but constant switching between them showed the main characteristics clearly.

The Vipers [already burned in for 2 months] were smoother, but with a tendency to show a fatter bass content. The highs were smooth also, but without “bite”.
The non-brand cables showed a leaner bass line but with a muddied mid band and a not too distinct high band.

Replaced the non-brand cables with another non-brand [custom made] silver cable with good quality AudioQuest connectors.
Comparisons showed the non-brand silver cable to have a better upper frequency sheen, the snare drums had natural and open “thwacks” to them, the bass line was tuneful and not “fat”. The vocals were more intelligible and instruments more separated.

Then I tested the non-brand cable against an AudioQuest lapis.
The results were similar – meaning, that the AQ cables seem to have the same characteristic tendency to be [overly] smooth but lacked the transparency that the silver cable is capable of delivering.

Comparing the AQ Viper to the Lapis did not show any great differences.

Last comparison was between AQ Viper and Tara Labs Prism 22.
The Tara cable out did the AQ by a large margin.
The Tara cables were natural and clean. No muddiness in the bass, clear mid band and a shimmering high band. The soundstage was as deep as the AQ cables showed, but the separation and the clarity was much better with the Tara cables.

This in no way is to put down the AudioQuest cables, but more to show how I did the comparative test and what suits MY system the best to my ears!

Anil.
8/20/01.

Purchased At:   cant remember

Submitted by Anker Sondergaard a

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
Taralabs Prism 22
This cable is definitely better than the cables that comes with your system. But there are some drawbacks.

When I buy new equipment I always compare the new sound to the sound I get through my Sennheiser 580 headphones. The sound in them is extremely detailed and very natural in the sound, just as I like it.
The Prism 22 is not detailed at all. They make the whole sound field messy and you are not able to distinguish the instruments from each other. They also makes the sound very dark as there is a total lack of detail in the treble. The Bass is very muddy and dominates the sound a lot.

I replaced them with Cambridge Audio Pacific, and instantly there was a change in the sound image. Everything improved and best of all the CA Pacific is cheaper than the prism 22. CA Pacific is very detailed and sounds far more detailed and is definitely a better buy.

The major drawbacks comes when the cable is placed between my CD player and pre amp. When the prism 22 is placed between my pre amp and my power amp they does not colour the sound in the way as described above. There the sound is acceptable and less dark.

I would not recommend this cable. You can easily get better cables for less money.

Submitted by Erwin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
Prism 22's are good old friends of mine. They are good looking! and they also have their limitations, yes I admit to that, but hey for this price range, these cables make me smile. These are definetely entry (very basic entry) level. They lack in many respects BUT they give you the first glimpse of what 'musicality' is really all about. Tonal balance is tops, I Love the way the 22's present human voice both male and female and most musical instruments (except the acoustic ones.) With such warmth, articulation and presence just as the big cables. I use these to feed my numb $200 SONY "Pro-logic" receiver from the VCR. (I don't care about a DVD player yet. Not really a HT fan.) They work great there! The tonal balance and presence can be at times so precise it fools you! Is that my phone ringing or is it in the movie?, is that my doorbell or is it the one in the movie? You can hardly tell them apart! A Great feat for the humble 22's! For HomeTeather (HT) where mostly all (and the fun part) of it it's its dialog, crashes Booms, Bangs and Roars I think this cable it's in its domain. Also for a second system like I said it brings musicality to it. Oh and the top end is ever smooth never harsh. If you hear it harsh, something's got to be wrong w/your system. Where the 22's start falling short is that their soundstage presentation is only two levels deep. Width seems to be ok. Soundstage depth it's Front, Back and that's IT. There is no air, no space any further than that. And the back it's lightly fuzzy. The front is always so gracefuly and elegantly clear though. Microdynamics are cut off short, like you don't get to hear that last 20% of decay in the string of a guitar. On heavy musical passages with a lot of instruments playing at the same time it tends to sound congested, as if it reached some sort of "saturation" level and it sounds strained. Then again, if your system is an entry level or is as numb as my Sony Receiver, and doesn't have the resolution you will never know the difference but will welcome and enjoy this interconnect's musicality and "realistic (tonal balance) presentation" so to speak. Definetely much better sounding, refined and satisfying that the black cords that come w/mass products (and they look darn good too!) Despite their shortcomings, for their price range I think these cables are overachievers and I love them for that. Manufacturing quality is tops, and the long ride they give you for your buck and the smile they always bring to my face I give them five stars. In absolute sound terms they would be like a 3.8 . In value, yeah, they are pricier but hold their very own - so musical - virtues, so I give them also a five.

Related Equip: You know my "numb" Sony Reciever at the bottom of the list (it's not really as bad as I portrait it.) And where I gaged it's absolute sound attributes was on my main system between a (back then) Sansui ELITE class single CD Player connected directly to a Carver TFM-55 power amp. It hardly gets a whole lot more transparent than that folks.

Sorry for the long review, but I hope you find it informative and useful. And Remember it's not all about "Perfect Sound" it's about the MUSIC YOU LIKE and the way YOU Like IT, and HAVING TONS OF FUN WITH IT!

Happy Listenings!!! & Drop me a line, I love to hear from you. (I hope I don't regret saying that later! ;) ... )

If you are an audio publisher off or online and liked how I said what I said, yeah I would love to write more for you for a reasonable fee. (The rest of you, please don't hate me for saying that. You benefited already! and I need money too like all of you!) (and a litle bit of a poet too.)

Purchased At:   Sound Factor - Tarzana, San Fernando Valley CA. Hi Jack!

Submitted by Kalle Wallin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I thought I would get rid of the thin little black RCA-cables that came with the CD-player (Marantz RCD4000), and get a higher quality signal to my newly-bought Denon AVR-1800. Since my expenses limit right then was $50, I, after some consideration and discussion with my local dealer, went and bought the Prism 22's at 2 feet lenght, which cost exactly that much. I listened to a few records with my old cables for reference, then switched. The difference was not half of what I had expected, but still there. The sound was clearer, sharper, more dynamic and less distorted, but I did not find the difference worth 25% of my CD-player's value. I let them burn in for approximately 30 hours, and the sound improved. But I am not entirely happy with them anyway. Better sound - yes, but at a high cost. If they would have been cheaper I would recommend them to anyone who wants better interconnects but can't front a lot of money, but now I am not certain of their actual value. So to end it: sligtly disappointed with the money it cost, but happy with better sound.