Straight Wire Symphony II Speaker Cables

Interconnect

Submitted by Vasily a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2013

Bottom Line:
I can wholeheartedly agree with a review below written by Kuma. The Straight Wire brand cables are in effect quite the opposite - they modulate the sound, not transmit it purely and directly.
I have used the Symphony II and Flexconnect II in my NAD-Tannoy system, and liked it... for a while. The highs were mellow and pleasing, bass warm and thumpy, the Symph.II has more prominent bass than the Flexconnect.
BUT, and a big but that is..
It's all wrong. The timbre of the instruments is curiously modified. Female voices sound nasal. These cables also mess up the the scene - , and time information. A high hat sounds "sweet" with them, not fast and metallic. There is no impact or PRAT.

Replaced with supermarket HAMA brand (top of their line, blackstream), the music is so different now, my ears need to adjust. But now I hear what's on the record, not in the cable.

Submitted by RobertinChico a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
I attached these interconnects to my Panasonic DVD player, to be played throught my Toshiba stereo television. The upgrade from OEM cables, yielded an immediate improvement in voice definition, mid-range control, bass presentation and spatial information. The overall soundstage was very real.

Purchased At:   Audiogon.com

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
If you have followed my reviews of rebuilding my system starting with adding the Velodyne HGS-10, you'll find that when my Outlaw Audio 750 amp arrived, my new interconnects were MIA. So, I pulled out some old Phoenix Golds and went forward. Things sounded good but the highs seemed to be rather muted at times on familiar music.

Well, I got the Symphony IIs on sale while travelling on business and cancelled my on-line order. Once they were in, the highs came back. The Symphony II seems very balanced, clear, and bring out everything in the mix. The only sad thing to note is that the Phoenix Golds did one thing really well and that was carry the bass line. I almost kind of miss the meaty bass they brought to music, but I know what I was hearing was the only part of the music they did well.

In general, a nice improvement and a demonstration that a few extra bucks on cables are worth it. Now, I'm still skeptical that any cable could be worth $100+, but maybe someday when I'm swimming in Krell equipment they might be worth a try!

5 stars on value 'cause I found them on sale!

Purchased At:   Columbia Audio/Video

Submitted by Fred a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have Straightwire Musicable, Chorus, and Symphony II interconnects in my system.

I use Musicable for cassette, and used Chorus for everything else.

I purchased a headphone amp to use with my system. Needed another cable so purchased the Symphony II this time instead of the Chorus. I removed the Chorus from between my amp and preamp to use with the headphone amp, and inserted the Symphony II in it's place. There was an immediate improvement in the sound. I was very surprised. I did not think there would be much of a difference, if any.
There was a noticible increase in midrange level and clarity. Increase in detail. I had the midrange level adjustments on my speakers up slightly. I had to reduce these to normal setting.

For the purchase price of $53 it is an amazing performer.
Straightwire has a trade in policy. If they will give me a good deal on my old Chorus interconnects, I will upgrade.
I would recommend these wires.

I use A Rega Planet CD player, Acurus RL11 preamp and A100 power amp. Vandersteen 2ce Signature speakers.

Purchased At:   SE FLA

Submitted by Kuma a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
It seems to be true that these cables provide massive bass, prominent midrange, smooth treble and a wider soundstage, but totally the sounds are heard quite artificial for me. Female vocals sound a bit nasal and Orchestras electronic. Just the opposite of natural. These cables would be for people who want to modulate the sound by them, but not for the people who want neutral cables. The Van Den Hul D102‡V would be the better.
System: