Silver Audio SilverBullets 4.0 Speaker Cables

4.9/5 (30 Reviews) MSRP : $225.00

Submitted by bsc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2004

Bottom Line:
The Silver Audio Silver Bullets 4.0 interconnect is a dream come true (i.e no more cable shopping)! It is a fantastic cable in all respects.

I started to get into the high end interconnect cables, or at least I thought I was, by first buying the Harmonic Technology Truth-Link. What a disaster that was. It was a very dull sounding cable and was inferior, in most ways, to the $30 Ultralink Discovery interconnect cable that I was previously using. After 4 weeks of burn-in and with the sound actually getting duller, it was returned with restocking charges imposed. Only way to make money from this cable, I guess.

Next move was the Homegrown Audio Silver Lace interconnect. It was the complete opposite of the Harmonic Technology Truth-Link cable, which was a good thing. Unfortunately, it was too much of a good thing. The high frequencies were a bit too bright and the upper midrange was fairly forward. A decent cable but fatiguing to listen to for any length of time.

My next (and final) stop was the Silver Bullets 4.0. When it was first plugged in, without any burn-in, the sound was dramatically changed for the better. The whole frequency spectrum was presented in a very neutral, pleasing way. The bass was deep yet tight. The midrange was second to none - very realistic. Acoustic guitars and pianos were reproduced beautifully and tonally accurate. The treble was sweetly extended with no fatigue whatsoever. Soundstage was expansive and instruments very focused. For a silver cable, it was not bright at all and was definitely not dull sounding either. The amount of warmth was just right for extended listening. All of the above was my first impression.

I couldn't imagine this cable getting any better. Well after a number of hours of burn-in, the treble improved by being slightly more detailed. I'm in complete bliss now.

Technical assistance was plentiful with Max Kreifeldt, of Silver Audio, being extremely helpful. E-mails were answered within a day and were done so in a very honest, courteous and professional way.

I don't have enough praises for this cable or Silver Audio! A huge bargain at this or at twice it's asking price. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Glacier Audio, MT

Submitted by rolly a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
Silver Bullets are the best interconnect cables I have tried so far! I really do disagree with the 2 reviewers here below (sorry guys.) These cables are simply very neutral and present the music with clarity not present in any cables in this price range. No need really to elaborate further, because most reviewers before me have covered it already.

Purchased At:   SilverAudio

Submitted by audio_equipment_lover a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
I started my quest for silver cables with the Silver Bullet 4.0's. I was very pleased with them, but as all audio quests are (nearly never ending) I couldn’t stop after my first shot. Turns out I did pretty good on my first try. Because my next 2 tries weren't nearly as satisfying. I tried the Kimber KCAG, based on Kimber’s reputationa and the oft used but silly philosophy, more expensive is better, right? Well Wrong. They were not nearly as good as the Silver Audio’s and twice as expensive. Next was the slightly less expensive ($399 new versus $460 for KCAG) Harmonic Tech Pro Silways. They were better than the KCAG’s but slightly less refined than the Silver Audios, so I gave those to my brother-in-law ( he likes them by the way). I figured I went more expensive, so lets try less. I decided to try Pure Silver Sound’s Quartets. Well, here is for cheaper is better. They had all the transparency the Silver Bullets had, but with an added clarity to the bass and even better sound staging. Needless to say I settled on the Quartets for over all sound and value ($179 vs. $225) The Silver bullets are a very good ineterconnect and should definitely be tried in your system before many others. But for me, I am an imaging freak and the better soundstage of the Quartets sold me.

Purchased At:   Audiogon.com

Submitted by Rick47 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
I auditioned 5 different cables before trying the Silver Bullets 4.0's. The cables auditioned were Solar Wind, PBJ, Hero, Silver Streak and Rhapsody II. Most made an improvement over my existing cable. The one exception was the PBJ, the soundstage went absolutely flat. I have a good friend who let me borrow cable from his second home, the neighborhood Hi Fi store. As I began this odyssey, I realized for myself, cables do make a difference. Each cable imparted a slightly different character to the sound, some good and some not. Research had also led me to investigate the offerings from Silver Audio. A phone call was made and in a few days the Silver Bullets 4.0's arrived. They looked beautiful with the dark sheath and bright silver WBT connectors, but how would they sound? I connected them with the white cotton gloves that came with the cables, put a favorite CD in the Rotel and my jaw hit the floor. Detail, transparency and a 3D soundstage were now flowing out of my Tannoy's. These cables opened my system like I thought wasn't possible. The dynamic range was extended with better lows and highs I had not heard before. After some 50 hours of burn-in time, count me among those that think Silver Audio has a great cable in the 4.0's. Enjoy the music.

My Sound:
Kimber Kable 4VS speaker cables

Purchased At:   Silver Audio

Submitted by Hish a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
Well, I have finally broken in my SB 4.0's. I let these things run for about 60 hours (over a 3 day period) and the sound is truly wonderful. Prior to this I was using ixos and acoustic research cables. The improvement on my system was subtle but noticeable. Without any break-in, the bass was noticeably deeper, with more punch. Although they sounded bright prior to break-in, they are now very warm, without any loss in details.

Purchased At:   silveraudio.com