Shunyata Research Black Mamba Power Cord Speaker Cables

3.9/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $695.00

Power cable

Submitted by balloonknot32 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
Price paid was in CAN $$$. This is my second Black Mamba V2. Have one on my Denon 3930CI and it sounds wonderful. When the chance to get a second one came up, I jumped at it. Got the second one and have it hooked up to my Anthem AVM 30. The results......sweet!!!!!!!! After a week of settling in the soundstage has gotten bigger. More details are coming through all of my speakers. I'm watching and listening to dvd's I'm familiar with and I'm hearing new things with each movie. This cable is bringing out every last ounce of sound. This is a FANTASTIC power cable.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by woowoo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
hmmmm RUBBISH!!

Purchased At:   Richer Hounds

Submitted by antero a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased a used shunyata black mamba v2 to use it on a Modwright Sony NS999ES with sig. truth upgrades. I must say that I am very pleased with the results. This cord adds great bass extension and I only wish that my Martin Logan Aeon i's could go well below 30 Hz (instead of only down to about 40 Hz) to reproduce what this cord offers. I have also tried it on the whest audio DAP in a 2 channel system with splendid results there as well. This powercord is very system dependent. In high resolution systems, it may sound lean in the transition between mids and highs, especially when coupled with a silver powercord further down the chain, but in entry to midlevel systems this powercord can be a great addition. I currently use it on an Audio Refinement Pre-2 DSP with very satisfiyng results, in fact I will only consider replacing it with higher shunyata powersnakes and would highly recommend its usage in conjunction with a hydra. Used, this powercord offers great value in its price class.

Purchased At:   canuckaudiomart

Submitted by Bryan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
The Black Mamba is the type of power cord every CD player could benefit from. The best way to describe it is smooooooth. Seems to hold the soul of the music together. Do yourself a favor give it a listen. May not mesh well with tubes. Check out the Shunyata pacesetter line-up for tubes.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by blazter a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have been playing w/ power cord upgrades for the last year. Have some very good cables including the BMI Whale, BMI Eel, Omega Micro, Gutwire, and others. I am thus a firm beliver that thePC is a crucial to mate to YOUR system as the IC and speaker cables. It all has to synergize and what may be an AWESOME PC on 1 piece of gear in your rig could really suck somewhere else. Even worse, getting the power cords to mesh TOGETHER is possibly tougher than getting ICs and digital cables to weld into a greater whole. That being said, I believe most Audiophiles would benefit from trying to find a synergistic location in their rig for this Black Mamba. It adds a certain magic to the vocals and impact to the music that I find magical IMS. One caveat though is for most placing the BM on an amp could be a mistake? But everyone has their own goals and desired effect. I found the BM to work very well on the DAC or transport. It takes a bit of that edge off digital and still lets the clarity come through IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT COMBO OF PCs TO SURROUND IT. This can be a lot of work, moving PCs here and there and doing extensive A/B testing. However, I find it part of the hobby that is fascinating; how taking the same 4 power cords and by placing them in different locations totally changes the sound of your system.
For me and in my system I think the BM is a crucial piece of gear. I at first thought it choked off the highs a bit compared to the Shunyata Cobra on the DAC. However, I came to find that in the GREATER % of my collection the BM was the better choice here. It really surrounds you w/ sound and ambience! In this current set up I use the Shunyata Cobra on the Theta transport. Then I place the BM on the EVS M2 DAC. Next comes the BMI Whale on the Melos Maestro pre-amp. Finally, either the David Elrod EPS Ribbon PC on the AES Superamp. This combo ROCKS! I am using silver ribbon true biwire speaker cables into very revealing Silverline Sonatina speakers. This system is very revealing and I feel w/o the Black Mamba it would be a little too forward sounding at times. I consider the Elrod PC to be th most transparent cable I have ever heard. It just reveals things from the mid range up that nothing else has. The CObra is along thesame vein, it really pulls out the detail. The Whale and Black Mamba do a great balancing act here to add depth and weight to the transparancy.

Award-Winning Axiom: