Nordost Flatline Gold Speaker Cables

4.05/5 (22 Reviews)

Submitted by akosgyorfi2010 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
Very week bass,thin,bodyless sound,lost resolution in high frequencies
Shift for Kimber 12TC. So much better

Submitted by Kekoa220 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
Switched out 10ft runs of Kimber 8PR with 12ft runs of Flatline Gold. Both are terminated with silver sodered Nordost banana plugs. The Kimber was an excellent cable but its top end was a bit harsh and forward. The Flatline was more controlled and musical notes that were a bit shrill with the Kimber 8PR were now smooth and refined with the Flatline. My system did lose some bass when I switched out the Kimber. I think the Flatline restricts the low end a bit but I would definitely trade punchier bass for a smooth clean top end.

My musical tastes are heavily skewed toward female vocals, acoustic guitars, instrumentals and the like. So a refined midrange and treble are my main concerns. If you value these characteristics then the Nordost Flatline Gold is a good choice. This cable is by no means weak in bass, just less forward with it than the Kimber 8PR.

For the money, about $4 a foot, it's a good value no necessarily cheap but not outrageous at all.

My 2-channel system is made up of the following:

Epos M12 bookshelf monitors on M12 spiked stands.
Arcam CD72T
Arcam A65
Nordost Black Knight Interconnect
Panamax M500 Power Strip

By the way check a pair of Epos M12 if you can, amazing speaker inexpensive price. ($895 MSRP)

Store: www.definition.com

Purchased At:   Definition Audio & V

Submitted by Rob Whitehead a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased this cable after having borrowed a pair to try to sort a problem that surfaced after a home renovation. Whilst it didn’t fix the problem (brighter room, speaker location and system mismatch) I was hooked.
Contra to what I’ve read in a lot of other reviews I've found the bass & mid range to be tight and controlled.The treble has also lost the harsh edge it once had.
As for the mismatch, I have been running a pair of Castle 2SE speakers (bright to say the least) via an old Denon PMA 350 amp & DCD 890 player. I’m pleased to say that after almost 2 years of demos these are both soon too be replaced with a Perreaux 200i amp and CD1 player. (The beauty of living in NZ…)
As for cable, at this price I can’t fault it.

Submitted by keith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a good cable that give big and clearn bass. It can produce powerfull linear low frequency.
I use 2 pair of bi-wire to drive my Matrix805. My 805 can play RR recording with alot of punch. I mean, quality bass punch. Midrange is clear and sweet. Yes, it really sweet.
But it sound bright. It really give my 805 sound bright. If the bright high can be solved, then this is a good cable.

I use 2 pair of bi-wire to drive my 805 bass/mid unit. Use AQ midnight2 to drive my 805 hight. So my 805 now sound powerfull bass, sweet mid and smooth high....

Sounded pretty good. Can try.

I bought my flatline bi-wire in pre-owned price.

Give five star for 2 pair to bass/mid.

4 star for it bright high

Purchased At:   Singapore

Submitted by dolph a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
it is a superb, clean cable, which excels if your electronics are good. It brings an unbelieveble detail e.g. in the bass, sounds that normally get lost in a shapeless bass mass are now being resolved.

The cable does not 'add' bass or anything, it is honest in transferring the signal from your amp to the speakers. So, if the signal of your amp/cd combo has a harsh timbre, your sound will be harsh when using these cables. The same if the amp/cd deliver little bass: sound lacks bass. In this case you'd better find a slower cable, that is able to colour the sound to something tolerable.

Atlantic Technology: