Monster Cable Z2 Reference Series Speaker Cables

4.38/5 (13 Reviews)

Z2 Reference Speaker Cable

Submitted by Michael a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2011

Bottom Line:
These are great sounding speaker cables.. have had them in my Def Tech 7002's and CLR 2500 system for years and before that on my old speakers. Wide soundstage, plenty of depth and tight bass. Clean highs. Vocals sound real and natural. I would put these cables up there with some costing much much more... Buy these, if you can find them. they sound really good!

Submitted by calvin taylor a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
These speaker cables scared the heck out of me. When I connected these cable between my Harman Kardon Signature 1.5 amplifier and my NHT 2.5i speakers. I was warned that they need an awful lot of time for burn-in. But DAMN, not this long. But low and behold, they came alive on day. Depending how good the signal that gets to them, they will shine for you. I listen to a lot of Mapleshade recordings and SACD's. The Z2's hold there on very well. But I must admit that they make me curious on how good would the Z3's sound. Oh well for now I'll will stick with "Damn Good". One day maybe I can upgrade to " Oh My GOD"!

P.S. Any of you that don't have an isolated grounded hospital grade outlet, you would do yourself a wonderful favor by adding one. Plug your conditioner into it. Then also plug your amplifier into it. What an upgrade!

Purchased At:   J and R Music World

Submitted by James a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this cable after listening to a couple of cables from Kimber and listening to the Z1. I thought all of them sounded very good, but I thought that the the Z2 did a better job all around, especially in the upper range. Now, I don't claim to know what a perfect or completely flat sound is, but I know what sounds good to me. I will say that these cables need to have time to break in before they work their magic. There is one reviewer(Matt)who is probably reviewing Monster interconnects and not speaker wire, since 3 meters is mighty short for speaker cable runs. The soundstage with these cables became wider and deeper. Are there better cables out there, of course there are, but I think these will compete with any in their price range and a few priced a little higher.

Purchased At:   Soundtrack

Submitted by ernest a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
These speaker cables sound good to anyone who has not heard anything else or are upgrading from the zip-cord,but anyone who has an expeirienced ear will find out that they are over priced.The 50% cheaper Z1 sounds better and is a better value.The Z2 are not bad at all but they are not a good value.For $150 I would get a pair of MIT T2 or even MIT T3.The Z2 looks great with it's nylon jacket.Some will buy it for the nylon jacket alone,but I would'nt.Every wire in this article I own except the Z2(took it back and got two pairs of Z1).

Purchased At:   SamAsh Music

Submitted by Bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
In my humble opinion, and with my system, I consider this cable the point where the law of diminishing returns sets in. I originally had some of the lower-end Monster M-series speaker cables in my system. Unsatisfied with the sound, after much research, I upgraded to these. The difference was enormous. The Dynaudios now throw up a huge soundstage, probably because both macro- and micro-dynamics have improved. If you have a system that needs to deliver current to your speakers and you have the money to spend, get these. You could spend more, but I think you'd have to spend a lot more before you get a truly meaningful difference.

TARA LABS: