Monster Cable Reference 2 IC Speaker Cables

4.17/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by busy child a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was shopping at the usedcables.com store when I cam across this for sale. I had just gotten a new cd player (sony xa-30es) and decieded to get it cheap. It replaced a set of accoustic reserch pro's that had to be at least 6 years old. I swear buy them for my cd players interconn's. Seeing as they were used and already broken in I was very enthusiastic to try them. They are used in conjuction w/a parasound dac/preamp. This cable worked very well for my set up. The intref2 had a much more open feeling over the old cable. I poped in pink floyd meddle and took it for a test spin. The guitar was more prononced. I then tried patricia barbers night club. It was as if she was playing for me and me alone. The pianno sounded so different. I must again go on record as saying that just because I had a good experience you will too. Because of the intristic differences between cables and components you must try them out after break in. Get loaners. Any quality high end shop will loan out for test drives. I have personnaly had great success w/usedcables.com. They also have a recomendation section. Although I have not used it.(It is my opinoin that) If you are using a sony es xa3,5,7,20,30 modle cd player, this will likey fit your tastes. I do not know how they fair on the new 222,333,555,777 sacd players.

good luck.

Purchased At:   usedcables.com

Submitted by Etane a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
One of the reviewers says he believes a cable can make or break a system. This is absolutely true, especially after you have assembled a good system.

Ok, the Reference 2 might not be a great cable, but I think it's a very trusty cable.

After playing around with tons of other cables, I found cables and hardware are inter-dependent on each other to produce good sound. Some cables produce good highs on one system might roll off the highs on another system.

But the Reference 2 sounds the same on every system I've used it on. And the best part about this cable is that it always produces an excellent sense of pace and rhythm. Most cables need to be perfectly matched with other cables and equipment to produce this.

That being said, I have more expensive cables, but I always use this as my "reference" cable.

$90 is dirt cheap for the 8 years of enjoyment.

Purchased At:   Goodguys

Submitted by Michael a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought these cables a number of months ago to use with my Sony CDP-CA80ES cd player as an upgrade. They made little difference between the lower monster cable with that player.

I recently got an Ah! Njoe Tjobe 4000 CD player (reviewed here on Audioreview) as an upgrade from the Sony. There was a huge difference in sound quality. I could not believe it was coming from my system... but I still wanted more.

I have always believed that Monster made decent cable, but not the best. This turned out to be true. I got a set of Audioquest Viper cables, and wow. I compared the sound on the headphone jack of my preamp to the jack on the player and they were really close.

When this test was done with the Monster cables, I noticed a few bad things. The highs were rolled off slightly. There was a distinct muddy sound - they color the audio in the midrange. Some vocals sounded much fuller than they should have, almost to the point of being a bit boomy. Bass was always good and never an issue.

If you consider yourself and audiophile and strive for the absolute best and transparent sound, these cables are not for you - there are much better ones out there. If you have the usual combinations of japaneese consumer grade equipment, these cables may sound better for you than "courtesy cables" included with most equipment. There is still better cable out there for the same dollar.

Equipment tested with:

CD: Sony CDP-CA80ES, Ah! Tjobe 4000
Amp1: Yamaha RXV-995
Amp2: B&K Reference 30, B&K Reference 7250, AQ Viper IC
Speakers: Paradigm Reference Sudio/100 v2, Magnepan MMG

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Burhan Olley a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
THe cable size is relatively big and promising, even before I tried to plug them into the system. It did make a difference in focal quality, clear highs, and deep bass. I am interested to buy this cable because I tried the sound in one of the cd store which has a damn good cheap system such as marantz CD, dynaudio contour, and antique audio lab amp and pre amp. Overall, this cable is good for its price.

Purchased At:   Audio store

Submitted by damien a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
Yes it does give good bass that the factory wire just cant produce. However, the factory wires had better vocals and high's. But the high's on the factory crap just didnt sound that good for me to keep them in. The sound from the monsters IS better overall. I just wish they would produce better high's. And yes there really is a diffrence b/w factory and aftermarket cable!!! Plug in the aftermarket cable into the right channel, and the factory crap into the left channel and listen to something. Switch the balance b/w left and right and you will hear the difference...a buddy of mine told me about that.

Purchased At:   circuit city