Monster Cable M850i Cable Speaker Cables

Submitted by trew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
Monsters M850i interconnect is the third cable I've tried on my MID-FI system. NAD C370, NAD C541i CD player, NHT 2.9 speakers. I use it between cd and amp. When I first heard it I was rather disapointed,and thought, what a waste of money. About 8hrs later, it started to come around. The grain + brightness smoothed out, the bass cleared up and the back grounds became clear and quiet.I felt that the overall balance was tilted towards the top end,dispite the clairity and details, I didn't like it much. That is untill I tried a buddies Audioquest Topaz 2, that is an auwful sounding cable!So I switched to an old $14.00 Acoustic Research,with better results than the Topaz 2, but not even near the level of the M850i. I put the Monster back in and desided to live with it until I found something better. Last mounth I bought a KIMBER SILVER STREAK 0.5m from USEDCABLE.com, it retails for $160. I'm thinking, NOW I've got a cable!! it costs twice as much, is praised in these reviews as being, neutral detailed perfect. I was excited and found it hard to wait the two day's I let it burn-in before listening. (see review) Although it's a fine cable, I MUCH prefer the M850i! It turned out to have excellent balance, better bass definition,very realistic vocals and far better separation of individual instruments.Out with the Kimber, in with the Monster. Up to this point, at $80. per meter, it may be hard to beat the M850i. The search continues.

Purchased At:   Audio Craft