Monster Cable M550i Speaker Cables

3.56/5 (25 Reviews)

Submitted by crippler a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
This will not be long. They do the job but there is better out there simply put. I would never consider purchasing these again. They have their moments. I would invest another 50 and get something better than most 50 interconnects to really get some benefits.

Purchased At:   Ottawa

Submitted by glassfan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
JUNK- no more Monster cables for me!

I've fallen for Monster's advertising and the fact they are sold everywhere. I gave them the benefit of the doubt after seeing them bashed by many audiophiles in reviews. My system was wired up with mostly Monster cables, including audio and video cables (S-video and component video). Now I am taking all the Monster cables out and replacing them with other brands that sound better, produce a better picture, are better made, and won't damage equipment.

Upon closer inspection to one of the pairs of my M550i audio interconnect, one of the ends had the casing cut too far away from the clamp that crimps to the outer casing, so they took a piece of electrical tape and wrapped it around the cable so it would stay attached to the clamp that comes out of the end. I've noticed that Monster cables have a very inconsistent build quality, and the soldering jobs look like they were done by a 10 year old kid in some sweatshop. I've noticed they have started encasing the connections at each end (under the screw-on cover) with clear plastic to beef up the connections so they don't fall apart so easily. All this does is conceal the shoddy soldering job and the fragile connections done with extremely tiny wires.

So you have poorly made connections but the RCA ends grip your equipment's jacks with a death grip, leading to possible damage to equipment with less than bulletproof RCA jacks. Even if the jacks are strong enough to avoid being damaged, the cables are often very difficult to remove. I am looking at getting cables with Canare end connectors that have pressure fingers which will snugly grip the RCA jacks without damaging them.

Submitted by Jeffrey Chin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
NO COMPLAINTS
Definitely gets the job done.
Using to connect my Sony KV-36XBR200 36" Wega TV to my Nak AV-10 Receiver

Purchased At:   the video doctor

Submitted by hector a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
I thought I would upgrade my rear channel amp's cable with something a little better than an average cable. I was impressed with the M550i, as the surround sound has improved and the clarity is improved as well. I don't watch too many movies, but I thought I needed to improve the sound a bit. These cables did the trick. I am not too well educated when it comes to cables and things of that nature, but I can notice a big difference in the sound, so that is a good thing. All in all, for 50 bucks you can't go wrong with this cable.

Purchased At:   store

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is my cable of choice with Sony cd and Amp and B+W 305 speakers.
The cable sounds full and detailed and extended in both base and to a lesser extent the treble.
This cable is very quiet, mentioned by other reviewers.
Dynamic contrast is good with m550i.
Considering its price its hard to fault and is an amazing upgrade over free wires.
I use Kimber 4pr to connect the speakers biwired also an excellent cable.
I dont agree with another reviewer that m400ii is a better cable than m550i.M550i definitely has a little more of every thing and above all simply sounds a little better on my system.(Less treble roll off)

TARA LABS: