Monster Cable M1.2S Speaker Cable Speaker Cables

4.55/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by Phil a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was delighted when I finally got to hook these up! At the time I had just upgraded to Adcom apmlifiers and decided to upgrade some of my cables as well. I was never interested in Monster Cable products before and never had experience with them, I always thought of them being overpriced low end cable. These M1.2s speaker cables certainly changed my mind. I borrowed a set from a local dealer after he repeatedly urged me to try them with my Energy speakers, I am glad that I did.
These cables have a very neutral, warm sound to them. I was suprised how natural they sounded...so clean, without coloring the sound.
I was previously using Audioquest speaker cables in my system and was pleased with them, they are also great cables. I decided to replace them because they were only 6 foot legnths and I needed to relocate my equipment.

These cables are a supurb value. I could not have imagined getting such a quality product at this price point, afterall my Audioquest cables cost about three times as much.

Submitted by Phil a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased these cables in May 2002. I noticed a instant improvement in sound stage depth and width with these cables. The midrange is smooth, balanced, and detailed. High frequencies are clear, defined, and smooth.
After a few weeks of listening I was still happy with them. I again hooked up my old speaker cables so that I could do another A/B comparison...the difference now was even greater than before. Much better than my Straitwire cables and Monster XP wires.

Equipment used in the system is:
Onkyo TXDS797 receiver
Mordaunt-Short MS902 speakers
Monster cable IC's
Philips DVD player

Submitted by Karl a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I come from a family of engineers, all of who have always told me that speaker wire is irrelavent, 16 awg or higher for short runs should sound identical. I believed this for many many years, until my ears told me differently. I am not an engineer, so I can't tell you why or how, but when I first went from monster xp (14awg I think) to these cables I was very impressed. The bass--where I expected the hear no difference--really opened up, and there was just more coherent detail. It was a surprise, but a very nice one. I won't go back to my old wires, and wonder what kind of improvement I would hear with the 2.2s--I can't imagine, since the sound is so clear now.

Associated Equipment:
Rotel RCD-991 AE HDCD Player
Denon PMA-2000R Integrated Amplifier
Monster I-950 interconnects
Monster M1.2 Speaker cable (bananas for Amp, spades for speakers)
Vienna Acoustics, Bach Loudspeakers (filled and spiked)

(occasionally a Technics SQ-33D turntable)
On a Salamander Archetype 5.0 rack

Purchased At:   Authorized Dealer

Submitted by Dan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
More than a year ago I upgraded my main speaker cables from Monster XP to MCX-2s. Prior to that, I had always been a bit skeptical about claims for speaker cable being able to improve sound quality. I held the opinion that as long as the wire was sufficiently large, any wire would work as well as any other. Well, the MCX-2s certainly proved that wrong, and the improvement was immediately noticeable. Even casual listeners could easily tell the difference. I am using Martin Logan electrostatic speakers, which can make use of the improved wires. Recently, I added a Martin Logan Cinema as the center channel speaker and bought a 10 foot pair of M1.2s cables to upgrade the main speakers' cables. The little hard "brief case" in which the wires are packaged is somewhat bizarre, but a nice touch I guess. The net result of this upgrade, however, is that I really cannot tell the difference between the MCX-2s and the M1.2s. I left both wires in place and had a friend swap back and forth so I did not know which was in use. I listen mostly to classical music, and we repeatedly played a CD I know very well (a Wagner opera). Maybe if you intend to blast the music loudly there might be a difference, but at listening levels as loud as I care to listen, there is no discernable difference - or at least none that you can be sure you are hearing (and not just tricking yourself into thinking there is a difference). I guess I have gone from speaker wire skeptic to speaker wire "true believer" to speaker wire realist. Clearly there are improvements to be had by getting better wires, but you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear just with a wire, and the improvements have their limits. With hind sight, I would have saved money just getting a single MCX-2s for the center speaker. However, I will keep the M1.2s wires because they are still superb wires, and they match my carpet better! (The M1.2s is a dark grey while the MCX-2s is light grey) One of the old MCX-2s wires is now doing just fine on the Cimena, and I have no intention of replacing it. I note in some of the other reviews, there is discussion about the speaker wire needing to "break in." While I certainly agree that audio components with moving parts (like speakers) need to break in, and I also agree that some audio components and even solid state amplifiers sometimes need to get up to operational temperatures before sounding their best, I am somewhat skeptical about a speaker wire "breaking in." Maybe they do, and maybe some people can actually tell the difference between a broken in speaker wire and brand new one. I cannot.

Purchased At:   Tweeter/United Audio

Submitted by Frank a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
An excellent speaker cable bar none. This is my first experience with this model & will even improve in dynamics after break in. The easy mount terminals will fit just about any speaker,you can even buy bare wire ends to fit a speaker switcher.
Monster has hit the mark with this one,its bigger brother the 2.2s is great also but the added $300 cost can be alarming. Try this one first from a reputable dealer who will let you demo it in your system.

Purchased At:   Harvey Electronics