Monster Cable Interlink CD Speaker Cables

Audio Cable for CD player

Submitted by Eric a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
This monster cable line (Interlink CD, Interlink 400 etc) is a real waste. I know they can do better because some of their high end wire is decent. But not this. Compare this to JPS superconductor (Used for <$150 for 1m) and be prepared to be BLOWN AWAY. The JPS Stuff is simply better. PERIOD. It's NOT EVEN CLOSE. The highs are cleaner, airier and more delicate. The bottom more solid and authoratative. This monster line is really missing the bottom and top end. Makes everything sound midrangy and blah. No sparkle, no snap.

Submitted by ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased this cable back in 1992 before i started buying more expensive audio equipments. Infact, I barely touched this cable for years, and I have only used this cable to patch up components here and there. I have never given this cable a good audition until today, and I am blown away.

Currently, I am using an AudioQuest Quartz that is connecting my Technics DVDA10 to my Aragon 8008. The AQ has a great presentation in terms of details in the highs and liquidy smooth bass. However, the mids are somewhat creamy sounding compared to other high end cables such as kimber silver streak.

After removing the AQ and replaced it with the Monster iCD, I was expecting really sh*tty sound. To my surprise, the iCD presented a more well rounded sound than my Quartz. The sound is thinner compared to the Quartz: the highs are not as detailed, the lows are not as liquidy, but the overall sound is more real!!

I had to bump the volume up a few notches to get the same loudness while using the iCD comapred to when I am using the AQ. This made me start to think: perhaps more expensive cables are made to boost certain frequencies to make it sound more expensive!!

I have just ordered a pair of AudioQuest Emeralds before auditioning the iCD. Currently, my iCD is still connected in my system, which is powering a pair of KEF 103/4. I will A/B the $400 Emeralds with my $30 iCD, and if the iCD still wins out then I am going to cry!!

In conclusion, the iCD allows the music to sound much more real while giving up a little size of the soundstage, headroom, detail, and bass flow (all the audio esoteric stuff) compared to my $150 Quartz. For people who designed their system with vocals and concertos in mind, this cable is a world beater.

Purchased At:   goodguys

Submitted by Ted N. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
Unlike the Monster Cable Interlink 400MKII's, these cables do not make the audio sound dynamically compressed and the highs rolled off. The Interlink CD do have the good qualities of the 400's: excellent vocal reproduction--almost as if the levels vocals have been slightly turned up. There is real presence, not the artificial kind by turning up the low-midrange on an equilizer. Secondly, there is profound deep bass; I had to make sure that my subwoofer was not on. I have never heard this much deep bass from my main loudspeaker systems, the original bookshelf Paradigm Phantoms. (I have the Onkyo Integra 919 THX receiver.)

Additionally, the Interlink CD's definitely tame the brightness from digital sources, which was exactly what I wanted to achieve with these cables. The high frequencies can best be described as sounding "delicate", but not rolled off.

Excellent performance for the price. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   J & R Music World (www.jandr.com)

Submitted by Ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
I had my Mega CD Changer plugged to the receiver via the cheap OEM cables it came with. Bought this cable because of reviews here that said that Monster Cables tend to round off high frecuencies which is exactly what I needed to tame my rather bright but not harsh system. If any of you are interested my system consists of:

Denon AVR-1801
AR Pro interconnects
Monster THX certified speaker cable
Monster Interlink CD
Monster M351 Subwoofer cable

Well i've been feeding it a signal for 24 hours straight to help accelerate the burning process and I have noticed a difference. Music sounds the way I like it. Laid back, rather smooth and tighter bass but I do not think it is a $33 improvement. The AR Pro's do pretty much the same thing and at half the price.

Purchased At:   Video Sonics

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
M 400 ii is a good cable. It excels in base resolution and crispness.
It sometimes rounds off the treble a little too much and is not quite as well balanced as M 550 i but is clear with vocals,clean and is relaxed in sound.
It generally has to be said that it is in the top percentage of cables at this price point and I would recommend it for cheaper cd/amp connection set ups where sometimes treble brightness can be a real turn off.
It represents good value for money at this price point and as such has to be recommended.
It in common with other Monster cables is very quiet in operation-which is hard to explain if you havent experienced it.
All in all a good buy.