MIT Cables T2 ic Speaker Cables

4.11/5 (9 Reviews)

1m interconnect

Submitted by Mario Reyes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased these cables after reading all the hype and fully understanding the concept behind these cables. ALL cables I have purchased tend to be too damn bright. I use B/W CDM 9NT speakers which are very REVEALING (i.e can be a little bright). With standard cables (high end copper and silver wires), I found the sound to be sometimes a little fatiguing. Even with my all tube equipment. The reason for that is because all cables (other than MIT) are bright by nature. Its the physical charecteristic of wires/ cables that silver, copper, etc. cannot overcome. I know this because my Bro was a Devry student. Did you ever wonder why all amps, receivers, etc have tons of resistors, capacitors, etc inside? If not, it would sound like crap. That's what these cables do, they LINEARIZE the sound. What you see is what you get. You don't get any "artificial" colorations.

PS - I've toyed with the idea of building my own silver wire speaker cables and interconnects. After pricing out raw materials, I can't beleiver how OVERPRICED most cables are. You can put together really good cables with top of the line components for less than $30. Don't buy into the hype. If you want silver connects, go to Stouts Interconnects. They sound great and are fairly priced.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by Art a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got these to go on my CD (my only source) and was blown away that these were better than the Kimber (which I still think are very good). I first got MIT T2 biwire speaker cables for my new Paradigm Reference Studio 100s (of which all the accolades are perfectly true - I could not be happier with them) and was totally transported to a new place when I listed to music. So, when I bought a new Sony CA80ES 5 disc changer, I also got MIT t2s for it and man, am I happy with them. They do expose poor recordings but oh well - the trade off for great transparency. My Mcintosh MC202 amp and C712 preamp expose this too but sound so much better than the Proceed I had before.
Anyway, for $80 these cables are wonderful and I keep getting impressed every time I play music. What more could I ask for? Five stars all around.

Purchased At:   audioadvisor

Submitted by Patrick Enders a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
If you are thinking of buying these, and like me you move your equipment around a lot, do yourself a favor a buy the 330 series with the "new" style locking plugs. You insert them and then tighten a retaining ring. The T2 you have to twist then counterclockwise to get them off, fine but if you have two sets of them for something like pre-amp main-in then they are to close to twist and pull. Is like pulling teeth(or the components female rca)to get them out. Otherwise they are a fine sounding cable. I paid around the 50-60 used price for these. I paid $120 for the 330. The 330's seem like much made made cables, I will sell my T2 and get more 330. The sound is quite warm from both cables, the treble is much more laid back. For equipment like mine, the MIT line is a good product to try. Buy from audio advisor and try them for 30 days.

My equipment

Onkyo TX-SV90 Pro receiver
MIT Terminator II IC
Onkyo EQ-25
MIT Terminator II IC
Denon DCM-560 cd player
MIT 330 series II IC
B&W V202 speakers
Monster Cable Z1 reference speaker cable (am debating whether to keep these and get T2 speaker cable)

As you can see, my stereo is very mainstream, and I believe that the MIT are very good choice for someone who has a bright system like mine. Unless you are going to buy audiophile equipement, then the MIT is a good choice. These cables are about the same price as the monsters, do yourself and yours ears a favor and check them out. But pop for the 330 if you can swing it.

Patrick

Purchased At:   audiogon used

Submitted by Jim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
This cable is better than your stock cables but the actual benefits do not really justify the price. I really feel that if you like the MIT sound, the MIT 330 Plus model is a much much better choice . The low frequency have much more authority and images and soundstage are much more focused. I've seen the 330 Plus for about $150 on clearance at Audio Advisor, that is bang for the buck.

Purchased At:   local dealer

Submitted by Matt a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
MIT Terminator 2 interconnect

Well the Audio Advisor bug bit me after I upgraded my preamp to a Sonographe SC26 (previously a Forte Model 40). Had been using the Tara cables between pre and power amp, but this preamp for some reason does a ground loop when it is put into mute mode with those cables and the PBJ. It appears that the ground wire termination is the culprit here, as the Monster stuff is dead quiet in mute. OK, so while looking for a suitable (non hum inducing) interconnect I decided to give the MIT stuff a try because of 1) the hype around their network boxes, 2) Audio Advisor has much of the Terminator line heavily discounted and 3) I didn't want to put some awful Monster back in my system.

Well, long story short, these cables (the interconnects) are nothing short of spectacular. Bass definition and weight much improved, gobs of slam; midrange sounds right (Diana Krall never sounded better on this system) and high is smooth and clear, airier as I can hear much more low level details in the treble range (things like slight master tape hiss that was previously obscured), cymbals have a natural shimmer. Soundstaging is clearly more dimensional than before and rock solid.

All of this was before the official break-in period was anywhere near over. They seem to improve with time, but out of the box the difference in presentation was immediate and certainly not neglegable.

As far as the ground loop hum during mute, well they do it too but not anywhere nearly as loud as the Tara or Kimber probably due to the network box in the line as opposed to continuous wire. Sure, I wish it was silent, but I think that I can live with the much quieter hum on the few occasions I mute the preamp. The unveiling of detail in my system is that impressive that I will overlook this minor glitch (not the cable's fault) in my system. Sounds better than my Tara did and much better than Kimber PBJ (which isn't a bad cable). I have not tried Audio Quest cables yet, but have some Jade on order for a non critical connection. I don't anticipate that they will threaten the MIT, but I'm curious to try them just to see if they cause a ground loop with the preamp.

Thoughts on Monster cable: an improvement for mass market audio gear because it hides their faults well. Put Monster in a system capable of some good resolution and they will obscure detail and soundstaging.

Gear: