MIT Cables Oracle Shotgun EVO Speaker Cables

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2007

Bottom Line:
It seems to me that these are a love/hate relationship for some. As with all cables, associated equipment has something to say for how the 850 EVO / 350 EVO work in a system. I have tried tons of different cables, combinations of cables, and direction. With my Threshold / B&W system, nothing even came close to the musical experience conveyed with the complete MIT EVO cabling. It is irrreprehensibe to say that just because a cable is ridiculously expensive or cheap, it is not worth the money. Frankly, I will never need to replace this wire.

If you have some electronics and audio background, read the white paper on the development of these cables.

When music involves the senses, you'll not want to live without it!

Submitted by stereo4ever a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
Seeing it has been a while since anyone has mentioned these babies, just thought I'd throw my two cents in. First of all I bought all the EVO second hand, prices varied from 1700.00 to 4500.00. As mentioned before, the MIT EVO does not have any particular "sound". What it does is convey the entire musical experience completely intact. When I purchased my first EVO cable(biwire speaker), could not believe the lack of any sonic signature. As the entire signal flow was wired with EVO it became apparent what the rest of the system was capable of. Yes, wire can give you another octave in bass and treble without messing up the "music". If you can find these wires at one third to one half of new price...give them a try. Never again will I drool over another make or model of audio wire. MIT EVO stays with me!

Purchased At:   local audio dealer

Submitted by Scott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
Technically, I am cheating a little here. The cables I actually own are the MIT 850 Shotgun EVO S/A. They are essentially the Oracle but are not detachable or upgradeable. The cable I own was specifically designed by MIT to go between my Spectral amplifier and the Avalon Eidolon speaker. They cost about the same as the Oracle and have the benefit of being designed solely with the Spectral and Avalon components in mind. The MIT cables are well built, attractive, but very heavy. As others have commented below, they are also very expensive. There is no discernable "sound" with these cables in place. Suffice it to say, the system I am using these cables in is an all Spectral/MIT/Avalon system. All the components, including the cables, were designed to go together. The result in regards to sound is a neutral, palpable, dynamic, musically involving presentation. These cables also result in a lower noise floor compared with other very expensive MIT cable such as the earlier MIT 850 tri-wire. It must be noted that Spectral insists on using expensive MIT speaker cable with their amplifiers for technical reasons. Is it necessary to spend multiple thousands on speaker cable? No. Are these cables responsible for the presentation I experience every time I listen to my system? I don't know. They don't seem to hinder my system in any way. I admit I was starry eyed when I purchased these cables and readily believed the propaganda from the three companies and the dealer. I certainly don't plan on trading these cables if and when MIT claims to have come up with something better. I have become imparted with greater wisdom in the intervening years and look upon expensive cable from any manufacturer with a sceptical eye. I will rate these speakers with five stars as the overall listening experience with my system is, in my opinion, unequaled be all the other high-end systems I have heard.

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
The last two morons have tendered reviews without even listening to the product!! These types of "reviews" trivialize this forum and waste everyone elses time. I have heard the cables in question. However, it was at dealer with equipment I was not familiar with. I thought they sounded good with the Krell electronics and Thiel spkrs but I cannot say what contribution the cables made to the sound. They certainly did not hurt it. However, I will give them four stars for performance to counter the ludicrous prior reviews. The price seems awfully high though. Listen for yourself and keep your opinion to yourself if you know nothing about the product other than what it costs.

Submitted by Harold a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
I think this is the extreme of the whole cable issue. I think who ever is in the cable industry is getting tired of being overlooked as just a nessecary evil. So they design some things to draw attention to themselves. First fatter cables, which make sense. Now they have cables that look like amps! I do not care to listen to these cables. I have seen them firsthand. A salesperson showed me them and I laughed in his face (much to his chagrin). I don't care if you have Statements, Do you really need to spend this much on cable. I think it is just a macho audiophile thing. To have the biggest and most expensive. Please note that I didn't say best. I strongly doubt that these cables justify their price tag, but best of luck to MIT to sell these. They can then claim their throne as the hi-end's answer to bose (a company that ridiculously overpricces their product to infer quality).