Kimber Kable KS-2020 Speaker Cables

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Digital Cable

Submitted by Doug Kurek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
Great digital cable. You will not notice a difference right away unless you are switching for stock cable to this, But after the KS-2020 has burned in, it is incredible. I didnt notice much of a tv-picture change, I am just using a plain 32'tv. But with audio, the separation of channals during DTS or DD5.1 is incredible. I notice the volume on my receives is only turned up half as much to deliver the same volume of sound, This continues to improve with continued use. The cable is expensive, try to buy used or on ebay. Some stores on the net do offer it mildly discounted.
My system
Monster power 5000 power cleaner

Purchased At:   HI-FI GUY Florida

Submitted by Joon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
Well, I just can't believe how much improvement this single wire brought to my system.

My setup is:
Cal Audio Delta transport
Cal Audio Alpha DAC
Kimber select 2020 digital cable
Audio innovations tube preamp
Golden tube audio SE-40
B&W Nautilus 805
Cardas and Nordost interconnects throughout

I used to use Cardas high speed digital and I was satisfied with the sound until a month ago when I upgraded my speakers to Nautilus 805. Right away, I noticed that the bass I used to hear out of these babies in the store was missing. High was there, but somewhat restricted. Midrange was good, but little veiled. Then, I saw an ad for a year old Kimber select 2020 and bought it for $220 ($580 when new). I was thinking oh well what the heck....it's silver at least.

The difference when I put this little cable between my transport and DAC was just jaw-dropping. All of a sudden, my speakers started slamming and thumping at the bottom. Each note is much more precise and quick. I could actually hear the "pitch" of all these slams. The high was extended and free of grain that I could hear all the resonance up there. The midrange.....well...palpability is the word to describe it. Each singer's voice has all the minute nuances and breaths that I never heard before from these old CD's of mine.

I used to think that a digital cable was not as crucial as the analog interconnects. How wrong I was. I guess this cable minimizes the jitter more so than many other cables; otherwise, I have no explanation for this improvement.

If you feel you have good quality transport and DAC, but not satisfied with the sound, you should give this cable a chance. I am sure you'll have a very pleasant surprise.

So, at the price I bought this cable definitely 5 stars. The performance is 5 stars. No doubt about it.

Submitted by Richard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 4, 1999

Bottom Line:
Nuetral: top to bottom. The best I have tried. A little more forward than some of the others, but honest and incredibly palpable. If you want to know what's on the disc, this is up there with the best.

Submitted by library a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
One of the best digital cable I have ever heard. The information transfer is exactly what the transport emitts. The resulting
sound clearly reflects the charastics of the equippements. I am now using
MSB link DAC and Gold link DAC. I totally dependent on KS2020 to compare link dAC and Gold DAC. Also, compared with XLO sig 4.1 Digital cable. Only have a difference of personal taste.

Submitted by John Lum a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
Associated Equipment:
Transports: Theta Jade, Data Basic II, and CAL Delta
DACs: Theta DSPro Basic IIIA, DSPro Prime IIA, Cobalt 307

The Kimber Select KS-2020 digital coax is a pretty good cable. It's just as good as any other digital cables I've tried, except for these two areas. First, the bass, while dynamic and tight, is just too much in level. This is consistent with whatever equipment I've hooked my 2020 up to. If your system is already on the warm, bass-y side, you will not like thie 2020. Second, the treble, while being much more focused than other digital cables I've tried, is just too small in image. So overall, this cable will make your system yearn for Dolby HX Pro, if there were such a thing for digital cables.

Otherwise, all the detail and power are there. I am indeed able to discern the differences between my transports and DACs, with the 2020 in use.

For those of you who need/want a lighter, more neutral sound, try the Illuminati D-60. However, the D-60 doesn't image as well as the 2020. I guess we can't have everything... My three-star rating below seems a little harsh. I wish I could give it three-and-a-half stars. After hearing the 2020, I'm afraid most other digital cables I've tried wouldn't even get a two-star rating from me.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile