IXOS gamma 1002 Speaker Cables

4.36/5 (11 Reviews)

interconnect

Submitted by R Smith a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
No mincing words this is a dynamite interconnect. Right out of the packaging I notice a breath-taking clarity, focus, and dimensionality and a fast and weighty bass and sub-bass. In short, they let the music through. Very involving and insightful. Highly recommended!

Purchased At:   Accessoris4less

Submitted by ian_k a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
Bought this cable to replace Interdyn Integra series interconnect. The Integra is a fine product in its own right and retails for about 80 bucks AUS. Considering the IXOS was twice the price I thought I'd try them.

Clarity, and detail are impressive. In my system this cable widended the sound stage considerably. Low frequencies while very precise really should be presented a bit more strongly (doesn't go that deep). But the bass that is there is tight, taut, fast and rythmic.

Overall I think the IXOS has a very natural tone. I don't think it's a good choice to cure a bright system - that would only add to the problem. But if you are after detail, this cable will leave you pleased.

Purchased At:   audio shop

Submitted by sprfrk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
This cable looked good, until I unscrewed one of the connectors to see the actual conducting wires. I was not impressed (although the solder showed a decent degree of workmanship). I have been using this cable in my system because I didn't know any better for about six months. It definitly sounds better than the supplied cables with my equipment, but something was definitely missing. There was very little 'presence' in the music, especially in the lower range. There was also some 'roll-off' in the treble and a lack of 'openess' in the sound. I then switched to some Transparent cables for comparison. The music came to life. I also tried some synergistics, and they gave some greater clarity, but were a bit too 'hot' for my Paradigm reference speakers (they tend to be a bit 'bright' when paired with the wrong equipment). The IXOS cable just gets the job done, but with no added benefits. There is a loss of information in the upper and lower ranges, and this leads to a flatter sound-stage, and a lack of 'openess' (or 'airiness') in the sound. I hope this review is helpful, although I truly despise all the audiophile terminology I needed to use in order to write it.

4-stars for value because of how cheap you can get this cable for nowadays.

3-stars for overall performance (compared to wires near its available price point and at its MSRP price point)

Submitted by Paul M a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 1000, the gold series of this cable.

IXOS is another British product that deserves better distribution in this country. I bought this cable for my Home Theater system, but it gets promoted to my hi-end system. I enjoy it most in series with a more-detailed, but slightly bright cable such as the Kimber KCAG.

The IXOS provides a very deep and wide soundstage. The sound it provides converts a versatile and cable inducive amp like the Monarchy SM-70 into a very tube-like transducer.

Equipment:

Monarchy SM-70 pros
Audible Illusions MOD 3A
Kimber PBJ and KCAG interconnects
DHLabs Speaker Cable
Monarchy 22B DAC
Theta Data Basic Dig Transport
XLO ref digital cable

I enjoy this cable immensely and feel that it's an excellent product in the current price range.

Purchased At:   Accessories4Less

Submitted by Nav a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
Broke these 1m cables in and tested against above mentioned cables. Highs and mids came through clearly, no harshness unlike the Monster, which sounded screechy at times. But the weak bass had me disappointed. The MIT Labs and the Monster both had better bass, but not quite as clear.
The IXOS at $50 are a great value though, against the $80 MITs and $120 Monsters (both 1m lengths).

Purchased At:   AudioAdvisor