Illuminations DV-75 Digital/Video Interconnect Speaker Cables

4.5/5 (2 Reviews) MSRP : $102.50

Submitted by Sanlyn a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
It's eazy to disagree about the sound of components, especially cables. One can debate forever, but with quality gear it often comes down to one's own unique audio taste-buds. What I look for is richness of detail, energy, and tonal neutrality. Enter, then, the DV-75's. I hooked these between a Denon DCD-1650AR player and a Link DAC III. Immediately, the detail, instrumental textures, soundstage depth were impressive. The former coax, a Monster M1000d, had a lifeless, shallow soundstage and poor detail. After 40 hours burn-in, the DV-75 blossomed and improved even more; but there was a (slight, mind you) upper midrange brightness that persisted. My components aren't cheap (the amp is a Dyanco A410, described in 1978 as "a straight wire with gain," and it sure is). So I'm used to a certain tonal evenness. I really like the detail, instrumental accuracy, and great dyanmics and low-bass impact from this cable; it makes the mildly bright high end tolerable. I don't mean to ovberdo this brightness; many people prefer it (my wide does), and it's certainly smooth, never harsh, tizzy, or grainy. What I'd really like to find is a coax that has the DV-75's formidable strong pointsd with a better high-frequency balance. This is a matter of taste, not accuracy. On some materil, this effect simply disappears. The only other fault is a bit of in coherence in objects that lie in the nether regions between left, right, and middle (these subtle dimensions tend to be totally misdsing in lesser products). The DV-75 does have a nice, even spread of sound from side to side and front to back, with no gaps. Want better? Spend 3 to 10 times more.

Purchased At:   AudioAdvisor

Submitted by Luis H a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased this cable as an upgrade to the Ultralink cable that I had been using because I was not happy with the shrillness that was evident in the higher frequencies. The DV-75 was compared to the Silver Sonic, Ultralink, and Optical cable directly.

With the Ultralink, I found that on certain sounds, like cymbals, the sound would be very piercing and would be very fatiguing in no time at all. The Silver Sonics fell between the Ultralink and the DV-75 in terms of much improved clarity of the higher frequencies with none of the shrillness of the Ultralink. However, the Silver Sonics have a "darker" sound than the DV-75 as the sounds were not as evident and defined as with the DV-75. The Kimber was very neutral in that respect as it was neither as "dark" as the Silver Sonics and not nearly as shrill as the Ultralink. The Optical cable was also very smooth in the midrange but the higher frequencies again were just too bright for my tastes. This narrowed my choices to the Coaxial DV-75 and the Analog Silver Sonics.

The difference between the DV-75 and the Silver Sonics appeal to two distinct groups of listeners as some prefer the darker sound, while other want the music to be heard as it was originally recorded; no coloration is their mantra. I personally liked the qualities of both and would only chose one over the other depending on the listening material.

For movies the DV-75 was spectacular, as expected. I was very happy with quality of the sound and was not surprised: I believe that if a component can handle the nuances of music, it handle the overt cues of a movie.

For the price I paid I could not be happier with this cable. I did not compare it to other high priced Coax cables but based upon my listening experience thus far, it is hard to imagine any of them having a noticeable improvement for the higher prices paid. Give this cable a listen!

Purchased At:   OZ Enterprises