Illuminations D-60 Digital cable Speaker Cables

4.14/5 (21 Reviews) MSRP : $170.00

Submitted by michael klementovich a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
Well made cable with well constructed RCA's with nice termination. I have spent a great deal of time evaluating this product. I have all SET amps 211's 45's, 2A3's 300B's and 6C33C's. I was using the MIT Digital Reference and thought "Lets see what everyone was talking about. I am using the Theta 3A and the Rega Jupiter as a transport only . The D-60 is faster than the Digital Reference but I consider it somewhat edgy and weak in the bass and I am not a fan of big bass just tight natural bass and this cable is just a little to lean in that department compaired to the MIT. Overall I prefer the MIT but do like a few things about this cable. I ordered the Music Metre Fidelius and I am hoping that will bridge the gap by giving me speed and strength.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by audiom3 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
Wow! I thought the DH Labs D-75 made a huge difference over my Optical Cable! This Kimber Kable really makes all others I've listened to, sound cheap. I have always had trouble with finding a legitimate soundstage in my system. I really have been skeptical about how "real" a soundstage on a home audio system is (I have a pretty decent system-see below). I am beginning to see some of it come to life with this cable, as was never possible with any other coax cables that I've heard. But the real joy is Home Theater! The channel separation and clarity really do come to life with this cable! Bass is much less "boomy" and tight. Dialog voices are less resonant, and much more clear sounding. At very loud volumes, with very low bass (ie. Star Wars Ep.2 in the beginning while the ship is landing) my dual Legacy Audio 12s would distort a bit before, but not any more! I will have to pull out The Haunting DTS and listen for the real test though. All the little details - especially in the surround channels, are now very audible, and much more life-like. Very impressed with this cable, and I doubt you would be able to find a better one at any price.

Lexicon DC-1
Sony SCD-333ES CD Player
Acurus A125X5
Legacy Audio Classics
Legacy Audio Silverscreen
Audioquest Coral Interconnects
Kimber 8TC Speaker Kable
Kimber Illuminations D-60 Coax.

Purchased At:   Private Seller

Submitted by Erik H a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great digital cable and this cable is my long time searching..to replacing my old Apogee Wydeeye,
the detail, crisp, bass authorative, soundstage.. very beautiful
I also trying several digital cable before deciding to buy this expensive cable but all is crap...all never beat my old Apogee,
Mr Alan from Audiowaves is very helpfull although he makes me little busy to sending bankdraft because he can't accept credit card from foreign... :) sorry Alan

Purchased At:   Audiowaves

Submitted by Glenn Hawkins a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
This cable is outstanding. Right out of the box this cable was a huge improvement over anything I've used before. It made the soundstage very deep and wide. The bass was loaded with texture and extension. The mids and highs were very smooth with great extension. The way this cable pulls out subtleties in music is impressive. If it's on the recording and your system is capable ,you will hear it.Overall an excellent cable that won't disappoint.

Purchased At:   The Audiophile Store

Submitted by Zugswang a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
Good one. This made a definite upgrade from my Canare Digiflex, when used between a Proceed PDT3 transport and an MSB Link Dac. More of everything, but especially more filling out at the ends, bass and treble. See other reviews for break-in issues, no point in regurgitating all that.
I'm rating it 4/4 because I have not heard the ultra expensive stuff except Goldmund; but it is the best digital cable *I* have heard.

Purchased At:   Privately