AudioQuest Topaz Speaker Cables

3.1/5 (39 Reviews)

(See reviews)

Submitted by Nilesh a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2015

Bottom Line:
I upgraded the RCA from my Arcam CD-73 to my Arcam Alpha 7 amp, from a Monster THX to a used Audioquest Topaz, it was a clear and immediate improvement, larger soundstage and more detailed vocals. I even tried a new Monster M 1000 RCA that cost me over twice as much, but the Audioquest still beat it out in sheer soundstage and detail. The Monster M1000 had more bass and better bass extension, but it's lack of soundstage and detail of Audioquest Topaz. Besides my personal listening tests, I had some family members come over that had gone to a couple of live concerts, bring their CDs and compare the sound quality to the live concert and the agreed that the Audioquest sounded more realistic then the Monster.

I paid less then $60 including shipping from ebay for the used Audioquest Topaz
Monster M1000 cost me $150.

Submitted by steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased one pair of 12inch Topaz for $60 taxes in from Creative Audio. Terminated with puresonic gold RCAs which fit quite snug into the terminals of both source and end. My first thoughts were that they are well constructed: the cable itself is sturdy and rigid and the terminations were solid.
After connecting, my first impression was not to good. It was not much better than the very thin interconnector supplied with my CD player. The dealer had suggested a run-in period, so I waited for a while to pass judgement. After several days of lengthy play time the Topaz started to open up. There seemed to be an urgent sense of clarity that came about the speakers. Everything was now quite detailed. Background sounds of the music were distinct, vocals were just beautiful, and the bass was pronounced yet very articulated. This was a definite improvement.
This cable does make bad recordings sound very bad. A couple of cds from my collection are poor ones from the early days. Although the tracks are some of my favourites, I can barely tolerate the sound. Even some napster recordings don't make the cut.
I think that this is a good choice for some budget or mid-fi systems. If the back of your equipment is tight for space, you may have some trouble, as I did. This is easily overlooked. Topaz in my system used:

between NAD C350 and Yamaha CDC775
to Paradigm Monitor 7 via Goertz HT 5ft biwired

Value is a full 5. $60CDN made a marked improvement to my lisetening experience. Overall, 4.5 since my experience with high grade interconnects is limited, but I am very happy with this purchase.

Submitted by Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I am using a Lexicon MC-1 with a B&K 7250 Amp,
and B&W 804 speakers.

The sound of this system is great, but I was always a
little frustrated at the dynamics during HT listening,
it just seemed a little compressed and lifeless compared to my old Yamaha receiver. Something just didn't seem right.
The guy at the home theater shop suggested I try different interconnects. At first I was very, very skeptical.
But upon trying the copper interconnects from Analysis-Plus,
the dynamics that I was longing for was finally there!
I could hear more detail in the treble, but at the same time, there was more punch in the lower bass.
I also tried the Silver Audio Hyacinth and also noticed more detail in the treble, but not as much lower bass extension.

All in all, I think the Audioquest Topaz is fine for music, but I would not recommend it for HT.

Submitted by Alec a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
AudioQuest Topaz is a very dull cable - should be called Grey (Boulder) cable. I have no clue why Stereophile Magazine likes it. Yes, it is very neutral ... in the sense ``dull/flat.' However, it can be very good as a center channel or subwoofer interconnect cable.

Purchased At:   onecall

Submitted by Willy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
I really can't tell the difference between this model and jade (the cheaper one). But anyway this cable is more than ok compared to any cheap standard RCA (Since I haven't auditioned 300 buck cable in my house ::)))

Sennheiser: