AudioQuest Quartz X3 Speaker Cables

4.13/5 (16 Reviews)

Interconnect

Submitted by stereoguy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2009

Bottom Line:
Not to be confused with Topaz! Years ago a friend of mine loaned me quartz, emerald and lapis Interconnects, another gave me topaz. I rememeber thinking I couldnt believe how expensive some of these wires were. That is when I first heard the blue jacket quartz wire. Topaz was very harsh and pointy, terrible really. Lapis was hyper detailed and bright and very 3D. Qartz was different though, it was relaxed, maybe a tad "muddy" but paradoxically at the same time very detailed and with a good soundstage. A couple years later I got 2 half meter pairs and a one meter pair, I've been using them on and off for 11 years. They are the only ones I had that long and never sold. I find them to be really good for source components, used between preamp and amp their effects are more pronounced. I dont find it bright or lean. It doesnt seem to warm things up either but may fool you into that since it comes across as relaxed, really I never heard anything like it before or since, I've returned to it time and again over the years (like the other reviewer here who calls it his "default interconnect"). One hi fi reveiwer (Dick Olhsher in the now defunt Fi magazine) said it had a "natural unforced presentation of musics harmonic tapestry", a view I agree with. Plus I like having a sheilded solid core cable that is relatively affordable and with slim plugs that can actually plug into your gear! It might not be "neutral" and it might not be warm, yet it has a sound of its own and for me that sound usually serves the music well. For people who believe cable has no sound, they need to try some of this.

Submitted by Ho Kim Soon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is an all- round cable, very transparent and first class in detail, but lots of weak point. Even many of my friends who borrowed this cable never like the sound. I am not using it for the past 2 years. perhaps it might match some systems.

Purchased At:   singapore

Submitted by pbubny a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
Since this cable was discontinued some time ago (although you can still find used pairs in the online classifieds), adding a review at this point might seem moot, but I'd like to clarify a complaint made by some other Quartz users. Since I've used the Quartz on and off for the past five or six years as kind of a "default" cable (I plug 'em back in on a temporary basis whenever a new purchase turns out to be unsatisfactory), I've experienced the "backward" soundstaging effect often enough to know that it's temporary. In fact, while you're breaking the cables in, the "backward" effect does kick in after about 120 hours of use, as one reviewer said--and then invariably clears up a few days later IF you keep running current through the cables (i.e., by leaving the source component turned on).

Plainly, the Quartzes aren't the last word in cabling as far as I'm concerned--otherwise I would just keep them in use. They're a little on the bright, edgy sound of neutral; they sometimes squash dynamics; and they're a tad slow. But they do render a nice wide, deep, airy soundstage and let in plenty of information. I'm using them right now until my latest and hopefully last attempt to find suitable cabling arrives: the little-known but raved-about Clearview Ultrathins from Mapleshade Records.

Purchased At:   Sixth Avenue Electro

Submitted by Etane a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
Using this to connect CD players to amp or preamp, this cable produces a very good but slightly unrealistic sound. The sound is very clear, yet it is rounded off at the same time. There is a hole in the midrange, and the sounstage is kinda quirky.

However, using this cable as a digital coax, the quartz is superb. Give it a try, your digital front end will have an extra sense of breath in its presence. Absolutely stunning.

No 5 stars because they are only average as audio interconnects.

Submitted by Art S. a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've used a pair of Quartz' on my turntable's outputs for quite awhile, and they make for a fine match there. Very smooth sound, articulate, clean, and a bit brighter and more revealing than AQ Ruby, but still has very good low-end response. Tonal balance is tilted upward, so it's a good cable for "darker" or "richer" sounding components.