AudioQuest Crystal Speaker Cables

4.53/5 (17 Reviews)

Submitted by ruhayatx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
Bought these secondhand for about USD55 for a 2-metre pair based on the favourable reviews here. Plugged them into my system comprising Quad 34/306 amps, Dynaudio Audience 50 speakers and Rega Planet CD player. Interconnects are Tandy Gold Patch. Then I compared them to some cables I have lying around.

The goal was to get a natural, easy-going sound that augmented the character of my Quad 34/306.

I first compared them to the Kimber 4TC. The 4TCs were clearer - they highlighted instruments in a stark, forward manner - but also consequently lacked the warmth I was seeking.

Next up, Naim NACA4. The NACA4s sounded natural enough, but again the Crystals were better. With the NACA4 there was some smearing and instruments/vocal layers got obscured. The Crystals were more detailed.

Finally, Kimber 8TC. This was a real contest. They each did their own thing very well indeed, but at the end of the day the 8TC edged ahead by a nose, thanks to the chunky and clear sound, and the Crystal's looser grip on bass. However, the 8TC wasn't exactly the kind of sound I was looking for in this particular set up, so the Crystals have now replaced them in this particular system.

I would say this is how a lazy Sunday afternoon would sound like, basically, but without compromising detail. Perfect sound for lounging about.

Purchased At:   Secondhand

Submitted by Dustin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
back in 1997, i got a great combo deal: demo denon dcd-815 cd player and 8' pair of audioquest crystal(also demo) for $350. whether salesman was looking to clear them out, or made a quick math error when quoting a price, either way great deal. i upgraded from the audioquest bottom-of-the-line(can't remember name; around $2/ft. pair.) the biggest difference i noticed was the clarity of the midrange and highs sections, such as voices, cymbals, acoustic guitars, etc. bass also sounded better, but not to the extent of the midrange and highs. at higher volumes, highs become very bright, but i think that is because of my amplifier(see below).

Purchased At:   Kief's Audio and Vid

Submitted by Adam Johnson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
After accruing several audiophile grade components, and listening to my system for quite some time, I decided that my system should sound just a little better than it did. It seemed like something was holding it back from being a really great system. I decided to swap out my lampcord style speaker cable with an audiophile grade cable as a cost effective way to increase the sonic performance of my setup. I purchased the Audioquest Crystal 10' bi-wire speaker cables, which really did the trick! The sound is much more lifelike, and the clarity is fantastic. The sound became more smooth and defined...just more enjoyable to the ear! These cables are no longer being produced, but you can find them for sale on ebay or other sources. If you're looking for that extra something...this is it!

Equipment used for Review:

PSB Image 6T Floorstanding Speakers

Purchased At:   Private Seller

Submitted by Jacob Gaitan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I just bought this cable from usedcable.com. I was a little scared to by used stuff, but usedcable.com defintly offers a good used product, with no glitches.

The sound of this cable is very open and extended treble. Much more clean than my Type 4+. The bass is really strong yet defined. This cable flys by my Type 4+.

Everything else about this cable is said by other reviewers.

System:

Happy Listening.

Purchased At:   Usedcable.com

Submitted by CCK a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
When I audition the Crystals in my system the first time, they were edgy and harsh sounding. I thought they're trash and I would never try any AQ products again. Later, I accidentally switched the direction of the cables, ( just running the cables reverse the "Audioquest...." label) and EVERYTHING became incredible, they are now very smooth, very dynamic and the soundstage is now twice bigger than my XLO.

Purchased At:   Got them from a friend

Should never have left the crystal lake...

for areas where trees are fake and dogs are dead with broken hearts collapsing by the coffee carts. The crystal lake it only laughs it knows you're just a modern man it's shining like a chandelier shining somewhere far away from here I've gotta get out of here... And find my way again. I' ... Read More »

PANAMAX: