AudioQuest Cobalt 2 Speaker Cables

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

Speaker cable

Submitted by Joey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2013

Bottom Line:
First thing i notice with this cable open focus , imaging is lovely.
also comes more detail in upper mid Is higher than my audioquest cv6 , the cv6 is very good too but warmer in the Upper mid . But the cv6 cost me $300 9ft a pair .
Both have same clean detail high.. Bass is a bit solfter than my cv6
Music sound great with enough headroom but not overly doing it .
These will be great for hometheater set up too if you go that route..
Yes there are better cable out there but you have spend more money ,perhap
Alot more ...
But for $100 use on 8 ft pair speaker cables you cant complain :)
If you see one on ebay grab it , usually only $90-120 for the pair
I hopes this help you guy to decided on buying
Happy listening

Test according on my system
Conrad johnson pv5 w/phono preamp
Parasound hca1200II amp
Golden tube se 40 amp
Sony 777es
Coineincident i/c
Audioquest phython 12ft i/c

Submitted by Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
These ame into my system after the CV-4, & MIT T2 speaker cables. Made the CV-4 look and sound like toys! Bass was as good as the T2 and better decay and overall soundstage. At one point I Bi wired system w/ T2 to the Bass and Cobalt2 to the treble. Wish I had left well enough alone. That was a sweet set up.
The Cobalt2 are a very fine cable. Thick and sturdy but not overly so. Allows great full range sound. I was realli impressed at the high end of these cables. I was expecting the good bass, but the way they sounded up top was a real treat. each run is made up of 12 solid core cables. I thought AQ told me they were all FPC-6 ranging in awg from 16 to 22. the other review said half were FPC-6 & half were LGC?? Not sure but AQ is famous for hybrid design where they will mix copper purities to get the most bang for the buck. Usually the best copper on the outside to transfer a cleaner top end.
either way this is a great cable. I replaced it w/ the MIT MH-750 Bi wire & the improvemnt was small for the money spent. If you are looking at AQ cables be patient and wait for some Cobalt2 or Forest to come up on the used market. The CV-4 is OK for a starter system but the price compared to used Cobalt2 or Forest just does not make sense. These are fine cables. worth every penny at $200 for 12 spade terminated runs.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
These cables transport music wonderfully. On my stereo (Rega Luna amp, Rega Planet CD, ALR/Jordan Note 3 speakers)they help create a very wide and deep soundstage, produce crisp, but never exaggerated highs, an astoundingly deep and controlled bass and a midrange that connects both ends of the frequency spectrum in a very coherent, very involving way. I have had them for two months now and find them to be ever more intriguing. They easily outperform the beforementioned Straight Wire Pro 12 which sounded bland and all to bright in comparison.

The Cobalt 2's are out of production for at least 2.5 years now so your best bet would be to look for them in hifi marketplaces on the Internet. I never found out how expensive they used to be when they were new, but mine cost me 40 US$ for a 10' pair! Consequently, at this kind of deal my value rating is a 5 stars plus.

Besides cabling I found that proper setup amd placement play a great role in creating a listening environment that truly sings. Make sure you try a filtering mains extension (especially in the US where voltage peaks are anything but rare incidents), find the correct phase for each piece of equipment (using a digital voltmeter) and protect your components from mechanical vibration. These tips are no esoterica, but the plain basis for a satisfactory listening experience, and will cost you close to nothing compared to some of those highend electronics and cables out there on the market today.

A stereo system for any music enthusiast is something very individual. It requires quite some time to test various components and how they interact with each other, never to forget proper break-in times. But after all the tampering and testing is done, one should always turn his or her attention back to the music, and not remain focused on the hardware issues. IMHO, there are hardly any absolute truths about hifi components, even if many people would like to have it that way. Either they work for you, or they don't. It is that simple.

Happy listening!

Submitted by Wilfred a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
This pair has been discontinued for a while now. If it were still here, it should be right in between the Forest and the Midnight. The MSRP at the time (1996, 1997?) was about $18 - $20 per foot (about the same as the current Midnight), but it would be at least $25/foot if Audioquest were to market it.

The material used is also right in the middle of Midnight and Forest also. With the same design as Forest (12 FPC-6 conductors), but 6 FPC-6 and 6 FPC conductors whereas Midnight uses 14 FPC conductors.

The sound is sweet! High is bright but not harsh, midrange is distinctive and warm, and the bass is deep and crisp. The overall sound stage is excellent, and should be able to improve if only my room is more suitable for it.

I am sure there are better sounding cables out there, but I decided to buy this cable because of the price, $11 a foot (more than 50% off of what it's worth)! Even cheap than Midnight and the quality is better and very very close to the Forest. The dealer I know very well gave me this price because it's to be discontinued, and he told me to get Forrest instead if I were to choose Midnight, so I picked this pair up not only for its price, but the superior quality over the Midnight. Best for the buck at this price and that's why I am giving a 5 stars!

MS 1400W: