AudioQuest Caldera Speaker Cables

speaker cables

Submitted by BongTae Lee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great Cable with lot of Energy

Purchased At:   Bach Audio Lap(KOREA

Submitted by Kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well the first 24hrs were awful, although detail over the 15 year old monster powerlines was clearly better, there was an obvious lack of cohesiveness in the sound stage and worse a horrible muddling and smearing of the upper midrange during passages where the power was building or crescendoing.
Day 2: a big change.
Day 3: now I could listen to this all day (and night). The detail is awesome, the soundstage broad and deep, the presentation is wonderfully transparent and the whole sound smoooth and delightful. I've been very happy with the low end, it's tight and powerful with lots of definition. I still want to try a subwoofer as I've never really had a full range system.

Equipment: Joseph Audio RM22si, Magnum Dynalab 308,
Rotel RCD-955, Oracle Alexandria, AQ Diamondback

Purchased At:   ?ebay

Submitted by Phil a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
The Caldera are large cables! Thicker than my garden hose but much more attractive. Green jacket encased in a black mesh. Nicely terminated in silver clad, copper spades. These cables are a combination of Audioquest's PSC and PSC+ copper. The 16, 18, and 20 guage wires in each cable are PSC. The 22 guage is PSC+. This copper simply allows the music to flow completely unencumbered. No barriers between you and the music to speak of. The different guage wires are said to transmit the full harmonic spectrum with maximum efficacy. I hear it! Every instrument has it's true timbre. Trumpets have their "blattiness" but also their brassy richness, giving them a truly realistic sound. Bass is tight and tuneful. The amazing thing though is the harmonic richness of the bass. I've heard tight and tuneful before, but this is different. You can sense the true size of bass producing instruments and their distance from the listener. Their natural power and impact are right there. Music just seems to flow out of your speakers. The soundstage is focused and spacious. The soundstage, when musically appropriate, extends beyond the speakers and resolves the natural hall ambiance of the recording venue. Close to a "virtual experience". I am using two, 8 foot runs of Caldera into my Vandersteen 3A Signatures. Vandersteen's have always loved Audioquest wire and nothing has changed. I know that running two 8 foot runs may seem like overkill, but I wanted totally unrestrained power delivery to my speakers. These cables are a considerable investment but they're worth it. They allow you to hear what your system is truly capable of. I am also using 2 one meter runs of Audioquest Python interconnects to round out the resolution and ultimate musicality of my system. I am delighted with my investment in top quality cable. It is the essential link to complete an already capable system.

Purchased At:   Elusive Disc