Audience Au24 Speaker Cables

Audience believe the Au24 cables attain the elusive goal of combining exquisite sonic detail with the beauty of true musicality. This is due in large part to the Au24’s incredible time domain performance. One look will tell you these are not "me too" products. The materials, design and construction techniques utilized in the Au24 cable line reflect the latest thinking in state of the art, high-resolution technology.

Submitted by markhelton a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2009

Bottom Line:
Price paid: Approximately $900 for two pairs of 2m speaker cables

I used these speaker cables for about 3 years. For the money, they are an incredible value. They are fairly neutral, and highly resolving. They have very good soundstaging and imaging. And, the thinness of the cable makes them very easy to use, (unlike my previous MIT 770 CVT cables, which were as thick as a garden hose.) Note: As stated by others in their reviews, the thinness of the wire does not constrict the bass response, as it was excellent.

I used them to bi-wire first my Revel Studio speakers, and then my Eggleston Andra II speakers. (Note: I used two sets of AU24 cables to bi-wire my speakers.)

As far as the ratings go, these are an easy 5 stars for the Value Rating, especially when bought used.

However, for the Overall Rating, I would actually give these a 4.5 star rating, (but since I have to choose between 4 and 5, I will round up to a 5 out of respect for the years of good service I got out of them). The reason I state that I would give them a 4.5 star rating, rather than a 5 star rating, is that I have moved onto a better cable. That cable is the Jena Labs Pathfinder cables. These cables are incredible. They impart a sense of musicality to the sound that the AU24 cables just did not match. The mid-range just seems more liquid, and musical. (However, the cost of the Jena Labs is more than double the AU24, so it really should, and does, sound better.)

Strengths:
Very neutral and very revealing. Very good imaging and soundstaging. A great value for the money.

Weaknesses:
They are not as musical as the very best cables, (Jena Labs Pathfinder).
Nor are they are ruthlessly revealing as other top end cables (specifically the Nordost Valhallas). I will point out that the Valhallas require that only the best equipment be used with them, as they will point out any deficiencies in your system, and they can seem lean in some systems.

Similar products used (in my system, unless otherwise stated):
Tara Space and Time cables
MIT 770 CVT
Nordost Valhalla cables (compared directly to the AU24 in my friend's system.)

Equipment used in my system:
Basis 2001 turntable, with Vector M3 tonearm, and a Dynavector XV-1S cartridge
Resolution Opus 21 CD player
Ayre K-1xe preamp, with phono boards
Lamm M2.1 monoblock amplifiers - (stock tubes replaced with Amperex pinched waist 6922's)
Eggleston Andra II speakers (formerly Revel Studios)

Submitted by bubbles a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2007

Bottom Line:

Don't judge a book by it cover is all I can say when it comes to this cable.Its not one of thoes cables to impress your mates with by the thickness,or the flashyness out of the outside jacket.Oh no,its very thin,unobtrusive.black,and did I say thin?

Termination is beautifully finished which gives it a very classy feel,it's flexable,easy to hide,but at the end of the day what's it sonic signiture?

I used it with Neats amazing MFS ultimatum speakers,a Sonneteer Orton amplifier,Sonneteer Orton Byron CD player,I has previously been using some Chord company oddessy speaker cables,which is quite upfront and grabs you by the throat sound,that was removed,and in went the Audience,was it to make that much a difference as the price hike was quite large.

Imediately obviously make that the sound went back a few feet,whereas the Chord co cables thrust everything at you,the Audience was much more polite sounding,natural,no so forced upon you,giving you greater listening pleasure.

Another very noticable effect of the Au24 was the sweetness in the treble,the Neat are very explicit,and dig up hug amounts of detail,with the Audience in place this was very noticeable just how sweet and the top end had become,it showed great delicay,detail,and refinement all in one.it was a very relaxing sounding cable,not a impressive cable,but a cable that offers sweetness,correct tonal balance,a cable that just get on with its job,smooth would be the best way to descrile the sound,yes smooth and delicate,no boom and tizz,no sonic fireworks,just a beautifully poised sound,full of emotion set before you.

Its not a cheap cable,but then again,its not ridiciously overpriced for the performance on offer,if you like it refined smooth,very calm and poised i'd put it right and the top of you listening choice.I wouldn't bother with it if you listen to pop,or modern day styles of music,for real real vocalists,natural instruments,classical,its a stunner of a cable!!!

Submitted by audiophi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2006

Bottom Line:
I expected to try many speaker cables. Started with Cardas Cross, then Acoustic Zen Hologram, then stopped at the Au24. I was amazed. The Cross and Hologram sounded the way you'd expect cables at their price level to sound. The Au24 went way beyond expectations. It was as though the cables simply got out of the way of the music. Tonal balance is even. Soundstage is properly organized (at last), with excellent imaging and depth. Bass has remarkable extension. (It allows my Harbeth Monitor 30s play the lowest notes on acoustic bass, which means down to a satisfying 40Hz... on monitors) Above all, everything sounds so musical.

Audience recommends against biwires. The distributor for my speakers also recommends against them, so I bit the bullet and bought the Au24 jumpers to go with the cables. They're pricey, but I get the full Au24 treatment as a reward. Just an outstanding product. And I never have to look at firehoses in my living room again.

Purchased At:   Evolution

Submitted by Mully a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
After experimenting with many different
speaker cables, from boutique to highend manufacturers, I finally settled on the
Audience au24s. You have to hear them to
believe them. A simple, thin, elegant
design that brings out the music. They
are phenomenal cables. I also own their jumpers. Can't say enough about Jay Kaufman at Audio Revelation or the fine people at Audience (John McDonald is a super guy.) This is a line of cables to check to out.

Purchased At:   Audio Revelation

Please add Audience Au24 IC and Speaker Cable

They're a very popular product with Audiophiles and a Stereophile Recommended Component. Why are they still absent after several years?Read More »

High End: