Analysis Plus Oval Nine (9 gauge) - 8ft. Pair Speaker Cables

4.44/5 (45 Reviews) MSRP : $299.00

Patented woven design, and exclusive hollow oval cross-section. Handcrafted using special Oxygen Free copper combined with a computer-matched dielectric to give the best possible performance.

Submitted by CY from Atlanta a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2016

Bottom Line:
I had a pair of biwired AP 9 for almost 10 years. Old oval 9 has tranparent jacket which shows one cable wrapped in purple casing and the other naked. Then I noticed oxidation along the length of the cables (6 ft) that could be seen through the transparent casing. I stripped the binding to find out the extent of oxidation and surprised that each leg at the amp/speaker binding had 3" long naked copper wires only protected by the shrink tubing, which is nowhere airtight. the purble half of the cable was fine as this was wrapped in purple tubing all the way to the spade connectors. The problem is naked half of the cable that is exposed to air seeping under the heat shrink. Such a problem does not exist in other cables, such as Kimber, Audioquest or even Canare, that what ech copper strand wrapped with PE or plastics. The sound ot AP 9 is fine but not stella for the price. I read some comments about the new Black AP9 and I can't comment on the SQ of the new version but both strands in the new Black are wrapped black/yellow and may not have the problem of oxidation. I wrote to AP and haven't receive any reply from them. It is contrast to when I wrote to them about 4 years ago about chaning the cable connectors to which they replied within a few days. I am almost certian that AP are aware of the problem with their cable design, at least the design of AP9. I expect oxidation of copper wires overtime at the binding but never expect oxidation along the entire length of the cable.

Submitted by desertmadness a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2014

Bottom Line:
This review is for the newer Analysis Plus Oval 9 (black mesh).

I have found the Analysis Plus Oval 9 (Black Mesh) to be the most musical speaker cables that I have had in my system. Their Forte is a luxurious rich full natural organic sounding midrange which complemented my Zu Druid speakers nicely (which although warm, needed a touch more warmth offered by the Oval 9). Also, the bass is very strong and tight and they have nice highs that are delicate and shimmer without sounding harsh or too forward.

In my system (Zu Druid Speakers with Almarro 318B Amp) the Oval 9 have produced a sound in my system which slightly bested my previous best of all speaker cables, the Acoustic Zen Satori. They sound a little more rich natural and warmer in the mids than the Satori to me, and although they give up just a little shimmer in the highs to the Satori (there is always a tradeoff), they still sound beautifully detailed without sounding dead (like some lower rung MIT cables I once had) or a little hard and dry like some anti-cable that I had.

In my system and by my ears, the Analysis Plus Black oval nine are of the most musical speaker cables around for the price. A friend of mine who also has Oval 9 speaker cables, says that they come very close to the sound of his Transparent Ultra XL cables. Close enough by his ears that that the extra cost of the Transparent Ultra XL Cables didn't seem to justify the small improvement in sound gotten with the Transparent Cables.

Submitted by levinhhung a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2009

Bottom Line:
I think most of the reviews on this site is not true
I bought this cable and it sound awesome with Rotel and Dynaudio 52
but after 2 years I suddenly found out these cales got corrosion badly
I was shocked
I thought I may upgrade to silver line but I did not
I bought Transparent super XL instead
Thanks AP for 2 years exellent service

Submitted by slinder a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
These cables saved my thousands of dollars. I had grown weary of the harsh, grainy upper treble I was getting with my system. I was considering new speakers and/or a new CD player. I decided to give the Audio Analysis Oval 9s a try to see if my eight year old Discovery 123 cables might be the problem as the system sounded much better through headphones.

The sound improved almost immediately upon installation. Lower midrange on violin strings was much better. As the cables broke in (I still don't understand why a cable should get better as it is used, but it certainly seems to be so), I felt the sound stage push back and the gritty, in-your-face sound of my old cables disappeared. There was much more "air" around those pesky massed strings when they are digitized. Over the past few days the bass has been improving daily. I really enjoy listening to my system now and can listen for hours at a time without fatigue. A real revelation!

Highly recommended for the price.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by ecclezia a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have been using a pair of single-wire Oval 9s on loan for three weeks as stand-ins for my Nordost Blue Heavens which are being re-terminated for single-wire connection. I estimate I have put in about 60 hours of listening time, so burn-in issues must be considered (though I don't completely buy the "not best until 500 hours burn-in" stories").

While I don't think these cables are entirely neutral (no cable is), I think they are excellent value. They image fairly well (wide enough though not very deep), are very good in the lower frequencies and generally provide a warmer overall sound than the Blue Heavens. I wonder if they are slightly more rolled off in the upper mids to highs than the Blue Heavens, as they don't seem to have the same air and space the Blue Heavens project. Nevertheless, the overall presentation is highly engaging and never fatiguing.

I am also quite impressed with the terminations, which are chunky spades and seem to have been done with care. But the thick protrusions immediately below the spade ends did give me some problems when connecting the speaker ends, as my speaker terminals have "tap" handles which are partially obstructed by the AP spades.

In our market, the Oval 9s retail for about one-third less than the Blue Heavens (this is comparing bi-wire Blue Heavens with single-wire Oval 9s, so the retail price difference between single-wire runs may be a less than 30%). With their performance and price, I could happily have settled for the Oval 9s if my Blue Heavens had to be replaced. As it is, I still think the Blue Heavens are marginally better (a little more transparent and slightly better on transients), but with the price difference factored in, I have to say I think the Oval 9s would be better value.

My system comprises Krell KPS-20i CD player, KAV-250p and 150a pre/power amps (connected by balanced Blue Heavnens) and Sonus faber Cremona speakers.