Acoustic Zen Double Barrel DB-2080 Speaker Cables

• Two 10 AWG conductors for the Midrange
  • Unit: Each / 8.0 Ft

Submitted by dbdeeb a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2010

Bottom Line:
These cables are a match made in heaven for my Magnepan 3.6s. Compared to my previous reference (PS Audio XStream Statement bi-wires), the Double Barrels have superior low-level resolution, much bettter soundstage width and depth, and spot-on tonality, with not a hint of haze, bloat, or stridency. A friend who recently heard my system with the Zens in place said, "I could hear nice detail before, but this is way better. It's like honey has been poured over everything." I couldn't have said it better myself. I am a seasoned audiophile; she is simply a person who recognizes natural sound reproduction. What was unusual in my experience is that I could hear improvements immediately after hookup. The low-level resolution and sounstaging I mentioned were both noticeably better well before I had fully broken these in (about 80 hours). It is difficult for me to sum up in a few words what the Double Barrels have done for my system. EVERYTHING is an order of magnitude better: bass pitch, impact, and definition; midrange smoothness and tonality; sweet and non-fatiquing treble; the most holographic imaging my system has produced BY FAR, and absolutely addicting musicality, with superb harmonics and decay. Particularly enjoyable are female vocals and stringed instruments. You can really hear the wood of the instrument and the action of fingers or bow on the strings. This has to be experienced to appreciate...it is a pure pleasure everytime. If your system is inherently warm already, these may not be the ticket. But in my system, which was already highly resolving (owing to the Maggie ribbon tweeters as well as silver interconnects throughout) the Acoustic Zen Double Barrels are, as my friend said, "like honey." It is unlikely that I will ever change speaker cables again. Robert Lee is not only a great cable designer, but is warm and personable as well. ( It seems that his designs reflect his personality.) In summary: excellent company and excellent cables!

Submitted by Michael Deeb a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
These area absolutely fantastic cables, and a match made in heaven for Magnepan 3.6Rs. I have used PS Audio Bi-wies (XStream Statement), and several others includig AQ Midnight and Clear. Though there is no silver content in the Acousti Zens, their detail retrieval is better (and more musical) than others I have tried containing silver or silver-clad conductors. I was not disappointed PER SE with my previous reference (the XStream Statement Bi-wires), but always felt that with careful research I could find a cable that offered better lo-level resolution, richer and more natural timbres, snd wiider and deeper sounstage. What was unprecedented in my experience is that the improvements in these areas were noticable at first hookup! Wow! I thought...these should really open up after about 80 hours. And boy did they! They offer a level of smoothness and gorgeous tone that is akin to the best cryo-treated Mullard or Brimar NOS tubes. The soundstage has opened up by about 35% or more, and bass pitch / definition is also noticeably improved over the PS Audios...no small achievement. But their greatest trait, IMO, is the natural resonance, timbre, and decay of each note. This has to be experiened to believe! (Woodwinds / guitar/ violins, etc., are breathtaking through the Zens!) There is ZERO listener fatique through these, and it is unlikely I will ever upgrade speaker cables again--they are THAT good. Robert Lee is a genious, yet will take the time to speak with you in person regarding your audio needs. You can't go wrong!

Submitted by rsmcphee a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2006

Bottom Line:
One of the best speaker cables I have used. I have used NORDOST, Kimber, Straightwire but so far this made my stereo system sound fantastic. I have Martin Logan Vantage, Simaudio Gears and combined with this cable it creates rich textured and beautiful music. For the price you cannot really go wrong and for the musical experience you will be surprise how neautral and musical it is.

Purchased At:   ML MUSIC IN TUCSON

Submitted by muzz777 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is serious cable for the money. I compared many companies products. This is the best sounding cable for the money. If you have doubts, just go and listen for your self. Acoustic Zen has done it again!
I love these cables