Acoustic Research Toslink & AV Speaker Cables

4.38/5 (45 Reviews)

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I know people says that there isnt any difference in sound quality with Toslink (Bits are Bits).

Let's make it clear; I was using Radioshack toslink for both my DVD & CD player. It was OK, but i wanted more robust cables. But with those AR , the music seemed more natural & detailed , sounstage suddenly got more stable...

I know some will think that its impossible, that a Toslink either works, or dont. Have you ever heard of JItter & Loss informations ? Anyway perhaps those special polished lens does help the decoder to do less correction . Who knows: They SounD GREAT !

Purchased At:   Futureshop

Submitted by Andrew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
Acoustic Research produces the best quality cables for the money, there is no other brand that comes close in price and quality.

Purchased At:   The Wiz

Submitted by Brandon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I just got a new Sony ES receiver, and figured that I should upgrade my cables, since I was using POS Radio Hack cables that I bought in college. I looked at Monster Cable and decided they were way overpriced, and then I found the AR Pro series of cables. I bought 3 S-videos, 2 opticals, 1 digital coax, and one set of stereo interconnects. I could actually tell a difference between the AR S-Video cables and Radio Hack ones. The optical cable is an optical cable. Can't be any differences there, either the signal is passed correctly or it's not. I just bought it because it looked good and was made better. I'm not really sure about the stereo connectors, but they may make a little difference.
Overall, I'd recommend any of the AR Pro series cables to people looking to get a nice-looking, well-made cable for a price much lower than Monster Cables. If you want to spend more, go ahead, but there's probably not much difference.

Purchased At:   Boscovs

Submitted by alex a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
I did the research. For what I wanted to spend, it came down to the supplied cables, Monster cables, or Acoustic Research cables. I figured, since I spent so much money on nice home theater equipment, I may as well get some decent cables to eliminate any "weak links" in my system. That eliminated the supplied cables. Now for the Monster cables, there were the low end cheaper cables or the super high quality cables which cost a pretty penny. All the reviews I read said the low end Monster cables were basically garbage and not worth the money. Now between AR Pro Series and the high end Monster cables, price was the decision maker from me. From the info I gathered, the Monster cables were simply not worth the price when compared to the performance / cost of the AR cables.

I have been using the cables for about 2 months now for both music and home theater. I have the following cables:

ht-170 audio coax digital cable - 3' = $12
ht-180 audio optical digital cable - 3' = $15
ht-120 s-video cable - 3' = $12
ht-160 a/v cable
(L and R audio + video - for VCR)- 3' = $23
ht-262 16 guage speaker wire - 50ft = $20
ht-153 subwoofer cable - 25' = $26

Bottom line - Acoustic Research Pro Series cables are the best value out there!!

Purchased At:   accessories 4 less (ac4l.com)

Submitted by Brett a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
Well I have used AR Optical and S-Video cables for about three months now and am very very happy with them. Even though I am not an audiophile I have to say the sound is tremendous, the only other product that I have to compare is a Liberty S-Video cable and that cost more and gives very solid results from my DVD player

Tonight I had to go get some similar cables for a new DSS receiver I bought, you know how it is, just gotta get it! :) Well here are the places i found that sell AR stuff (other than the two great Websites mentioned elsewhere on this page, but like I said - I just had to get it :)

- Sears
- Lowes
- D.I.Y

VTI: