LAT International AC-2 MK II
Description: 10 gauge wires, Proprietary Silverfuse metal conductors Wattgate™ female connector, Marinco male conductor, modified Teflon insulation. Our modified Teflon is far better than commercially available Teflon. Standard length is 6 feet. Any length is available.

Submitted by nicotico a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2012

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the LAT International (hereinafter “LAT”) AC-2 MKII power cable. First, my system. Speakers – ProAc D28. Amp, preamp and DAC are Audio Research VS60, SP16 and DAC7, respectively. Power cords on the amp, preamp and DAC are the LAT AC-2 “Resurrection,” LAT AC-3 Signature and the LAT AC-2 MKII, respectively. Interconnect from DAC to preamp is the LAT IC-300 Signature. Interconnect from preamp to amp is the Blue Jeans Cable LC-1. Digital source is an Oppo BDP-83. Digital cable from the BDP-83 to the DAC7 is the LAT DI-30 Signature. Speaker cable is the LAT SS-800 MKII Bi-Wire. Overall, I would say that my system is quite revealing. Change a wire or component anywhere in the system and it tells you something is different. The ProAC D28s can be a bit forward and pinched if not careful with selection of partnering equipment and cables. Now on to the review part. In my system, it seems that the effect of any particular power cord is most revealed by connecting it to the DAC. Over a long period of time I have tried a variety of power cords on my DAC as follows: the stock power cord that was supplied with the unit; PS Audio Plus SC; Shunyata Venom; Shunyata Venom 3; Shunyata Diamondback Platinum; LAT AC-2 “Resurrection”; LAT AC-3 Signature; and the subject of this review – the LAT AC-2 MKII. Of all the cables I have tried on my DAC, I am happiest with the LAT AC-2 MKII. I also tried the AC-2 MKII on my amp and preamp with great results. Of the three models of LAT power cords that I own, the AC-2 MKII seems to be the most versatile in that I am happy with it wherever I put it. The other two LAT models I own are placed where I believe they work best in my system. Therefore I feel that the AC-2 MKII is the best value-for-dollar cable. As you can see, I pretty much have all LAT cabling throughout my system. I believe that the owner and designer of LAT’s cables, Lou Tumolo, is an unsung hero in the high-end cable business. Lou knows how to make great cables, and he is onto something really special with his designs. Some attributes germane to all of LAT’s cables are: they are tonally correct; they are quiet; and they are detailed without sounding “forward.” Furthermore, LAT offers a 45 day trial period. In my many purchases from LAT, Lou appears to be willing to do whatever it takes to make his customers happy. I could offer further details about how I believe the AC-2 MKII compared to the various other cables I tried, but I believe that would serve little purpose. The bottom line: try this cable and evaluate it in the context of your own system. Be sure to give it adequate time to settle in (100 hours recommended by LAT).

Submitted by Fabian a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2011

Bottom Line:
I was always sceptical of any benefits of mains cables bringing any significant benefits to an audio system other than lowering the noise floor. After sitting and listening to music to music I'm most familiar with before and after swapping from cheaper cables (W&M around £50) I would have to agree completely with the 2 previous reviewers on the changes that the cable brings. Having only replaced one of the cables the differences were significant.

The difference is musical equivalent of standing on a mounting and the fog lifting; details in the background become more pronounced and the tones become more musical and vibrant. Adding to that the stereo imaging becomes much more solid. The isolation of instruments becomes far greater and vocals leap forwards in a good mix. The most notable difference for me was the bass though; It became far more 'sure footed' and whilst it isn't plugged into my sub, it enabled it to pick out sudden changes in the bass with ease.

I was lucky enough to purchase this second hand for £50 but would easily purchase more for the rest of my hi-fi when I have the money to spare.

Submitted by Al_Lamont a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2008

Bottom Line:
After burn in, I sat down to listen to this cable for a few hours. I could not believe that what I was hearing was actually coming from my speakers! The lifelike timing and pace that the AC-2 MK II brings to music was startling. This AC cord dramatically improves the immediacy of transients. The noise floor dropped, revealing more retrieval of complex harmonic structure as the quiet, minute details of the background came through. The bass was revealing, detailed, solid, tight and linear, while still maintaining impressive separation in the lower frequencies. Although I knew that a good power cord can have some improvement in sound, I had my doubts as to how much. Well, there is absolutely nothing subtle about the positive impact this AC cord makes over other more expensive cords; let alone a stock cord. Anyone who believes as I did should listen with the AC-2 MK II. I have auditioned a few of the highly touted ones with my local dealer; such as the Kimber Paladian 10 priced at $1060.00 and the Nordost Brahama priced at $1499.00 and the Acrolink 6N-PC100 priced at about 1600.00. I won’t go into all of the details of my opinions of them; I will simply say I prefer the AC-MK II by a wide margin.

Purchased At:   LAT International we

Submitted by Fairhursttom a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2006

Bottom Line:
I own two of the prior model (AC-2). They are great cables. But this new AC-2 MK II is actually better. Compared to some other cords like the JPS Labs Kaptovator that is priced at 1,500.00, the L AT AC-2 MK II has more detail, more air, more musicality and better focus. The background is deep, dark and absolutely dead quiet. I borrowed the JPS to make the comparison and to decide which one to buy. Well it was a “no brainer” Not only because of the far superior performance of the LA T, but also because of the tremendous price difference.

Purchased At:   LAT Int'l Website