JPS Labs PowerAC Power Cables

4.88/5 (8 Reviews)

power cord

Submitted by music junkee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
I went crazy one month and decided to upgrade all of my interconnects, speaker wire, subs and power cables. I used to have PS Audio's Lab Cable on my Enlightend Audio Design Powermaster 1000 Amplifier, but I've since replaced it with the JPS PowerAC+. The one major reason I bought the JPS over, let's say the Synergistic, was that the JPS gave my amp more bass. Everything sounds rock solid. My PSB Goldi speakers had more dynamics in the bass and better midrange. I've tried the Synergistic Master Coupler and it didn't impress me as much as the JPS did. If you're looking for better bass and mid bass presence for your amp, I'd definitely look at the JPS Power AC+ cables.

Purchased At:   Fatwyre

Submitted by Matt Blake a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
It is hard to exxagerate what this JPS Labs Power AC+ powercable does for any amp (my audiophile friends all have their own now..), especially when having no experience with after market powercables at all. Using this one makes you a cable believer for ever. Every sceptic can only say wow after having heard this cable compared to what they dare to deliver with even the very best equipment. 500 bucks is not much for the best single upgrade you can give your amp and boost your system with! The depth of the soundstage; deep; the power and quality of bass; low. You don't want to hear your system without again, I can assure you. This is a very good cable for the money! No upgrade in price versus quality can beat this one. Really brings your system in a new dimension. Stop, try this first..
I recently extended this Power AC+ cable with its matching outlet center of JPSLabs. It uses the same cable, running now from my wall outlet to my system. Bass comes even easier, background is more quiet (blacker), just a stronger image all together. Before upgrading any equipment, I would go for this combination first. I'm surprised. Be aware, it is a little unwieldy in narrow places. No problem, for me it is sound first, looks later, and it looks are good and serious.

Submitted by bigkidz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
I compared the JPS Labs Power AC (not the new plus) to TG Audio Silver, Analysis Plus Power Oval and Customer Power Cord Model 11. I experimented with each cord on my Sony SCD-777 ES, BAT VK-30SE tube preamp and Kinergetics KBA-75 SS class A amp into B&W matrix series II speakers. Here is what I heard on my sytem. First, each cord was way better than the stock cords. Better dynamics, better bass, more detail etc. No question about hearing a difference. I read reviews of the Analysis Plus and JPS cords in Sound Stage. What one reviewer heard is what I heard. The Analysis Plus seem to emphasize the upper and lower frequencies. At first I liked this sound (extended, open with lots of details) but then it wore on me a bit, maybe to much information but it seemed a little fake after some time. For certain sytems the matching may be just right for you. The Custom Power Cord Model 11 sounded dark and muddy on my system so out it went. The TG Audio was a very nice sounding cord without any emphasis on any frequency (balanced), open, dymanic, etc. The JPS Labs cord just seem to make instruments sound more real to my ears, very smooth but with details and dymanics. It does hold onto notes just a little longer that the other cords and may make some feel it is a bit slower, but I liked this effect very much. When Pat Barber takes a breath, you seem to hear the air going in and out of her throat/lungs, like the mic was in there versus just hanging around her. Cymbals on Pat Barber's Cafe Blue CD just sounded more real (like someone hitting a metal cymbal or that the mic was located in a different place. Just more real. Same with the guitar solo. I have been playing guitar for over thirty years and still have never heard a recording that could match the sound I hear when I'm plugged in. But the guitar sounded as real as I beleive possible from a reproduction. I would have selected the TG Audio cord if not for the JPS cord. The JPS just had a little more magic in the mid-range to my ears and I think that my system needed that (SS amp versus tube amp). Anyway that is my two cents worth. The cables run in the price range of $350 -$500 (TG Audio the most expensive here).

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by zug a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
Once I tried a Mark Levinson amp, and had such a hard time getting down to my basement, that I decided I'd never buy
a heavy amp. I got a Bryston B-60 instead. Very nice integrated but ... Dynamics and bass are a bit borderline,
so you find you need to tweak to keep all the bass and dynamics you can. Even slight system alterations can
impact these areas. That is when I began experimenting with power conditioning. I've tried basically 4 hi-end PCs:
a Transparent something (c. $200?), an HT AC11, and finally the JPS Labs Power AC. The Transparent did some good
things, but it also had a 'capacitor' effect, making the music sound sluggish to my ears. The HT was like I just
turned up the treble all the way, giving 2 more octaves of treble, but also much less bass impact, and the HT also
seemed to overlay the sound with some grain, some aural irritation.
Finally (and it wasn't easy) I scored a JPS Labs discounted. My first configuration was to plug the JPS into my
PS Audio P300, reasoning that the more purfying the better. Took about 2 wks for break-in, but my
judgement was that the sound had lost a bit of dynamics, and further that the bass although deep, was not so
impactful as I thought it should be (based on reviews). So now with it fairly broken in, I plugged it from my amp
to the wall. Right away, the areas of weakness improved, and treble also sounded more likeable this way. So the
P300, much as I love it for my source components, was not quite right for the amp. Guess that's why PS Audio
says it won't handle amps, although seems like everyone uses it for amps. But even the modest 70wpc Bryston
does lose a margin of dynamics into the P300 at the 60hz setting (maybe I will try some higher settings some day).
The JPS also helped to sweeten up the upper ranges compared to stock power cords. It has a good balance of virtues.

Purchased At:   private

Submitted by Dennis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have used the Power AC on three different amps, 2 SS and one tube, all with supurb results.

I have no Idea why it works, It just does. I have added an Analog AC to pre- amp and Digital AC to source. Results proved slightly better on Digital.

I removed all three cords and replaced with stock ones and had wife listen, stating that I made some changes to system.
After about 10 minutes of listening she held her nose and said, " The beautiful music is gone" I agreed.

Purchased At:   Take Five Audio