JPS Labs Superconductor 2 Interconnects Interconnect Cables

4.91/5 (11 Reviews)

Interconnects

Submitted by Carmelo Chianura (Ziggy) a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2016

Bottom Line:
I used JPS Superconductor 2 XLR and RCA for over 5 years with B&W 805S and solid state devices. They're coaxial cables with center conductor made of copper-clad aluminium, foam polyethilene dielectric, thick copper tube as shield and a carbon loaded external jacket; the balanced version use two coaxial for channel, with terminations.These cables need a minimum of 400 hours of burn-in (it's insane, but true), 'cause earlier they sound bright and thin. Once settled, they're warm, with great bass and midbass, round midrange and silky highs. Less warm respect to some Cardas cables, but much more dynamic and 'live'. What I prefer of these cables is their ability to give to the listener the right emotions with every kind of music. Now (2016) there are cables with 7N occ copper and teflon dielectric that sound much more detailed, with better tridimensionality and frequency extension, but the JPS SC2 are one of the few cables that always make me forget the audiophile parameters to feel in love with music.
Overall Rating: 4 ( 2016: there are now more expensive cables that outperform SC2, in the same JPS catalog for example)

Submitted by RobertB a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
I had auditioned quite a few cables over the years when I settled for the Cardas Golden Cross interconnects.
Though these are good interconnects they still had me wanting. Beautiful warm and round sound, but lacking in detail so I guessed I couldn't have best of both worlds.
Then an audio dealer I know well handed me a pair of Superconductor2 interconnects, while warning me that I would take a bit of burning in. And they did!
Though they didn't sound awful, they couldn't beat the Cardas Golden Crosses either. But after a week they really blossomed to their full potential.
The same roundness, depth and warmth of the Golden Cross but with all the fine detail that was I missed before, it seems best of both worlds does exist after all.
It sailed through the blind test without a problem (I do this to every change in my system, if I can't pick the new addition blind it doesn't stay) and looks (or better: sounds) like this interconnect will be around in my system for a long, long time.

Purchased At:   Local High End Deale

Submitted by John Cahill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
Having spent alot of time and money on upgrading my system, I always felt that it was somehow not perfroming as good as it should. It was my guess that it was proberly the interconnects to blame, as depending on what I used the high treble would to harsh, or slightly compressed in this region. At times this really got in the way of my musical listening pleasure.
I decided to try the superconductor 2, it took just under a month to really settle in. For the first time I am now feeling like I have the sound I want, that is natural and fully dynamic, with no harshness. It always seemed to me as soon as you open up the sound the treble would go all over the place, now the treble sounds just about right to these ears.
These are truly great cables, and a worthy investment if you want you system to dound at its best.

Purchased At:   Audio Salon

Submitted by jkarczmit a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
2 years were spent trying various interconnects and speaker cables. These were times of discovery, amusement, and frustration. After trying various levels of Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Van den Hul, Acoustic Zen, Nordost, and others, I decided to try out JPS Labs. My fist try was their original Superconductor series. I fell in love with the very even rendition from lows to highs. Everything was in its proper place with all of the detail portrayed even in very complex segments. The dynamics were stunning. The distant soundstage that Transparent presented was brought up closer and I finally became part of the music. Now, I listen to a lot of musical variety: blues, jazz, reggae, hard rock, old school heavy metal, SKA, classical, acoustic guitar, almost anything. JPS cables are the first cables that work great with everything I throw at them.
I saved up some scratch for starting the upgrade to Superconductor 2. I bought a pair of the speaker cables, jumpers, and an interconnect. At the time, I was running a Shanling CDT-100 directly into my Krell FPB600 and running B&W 801 Matrix 2 speakers. When I first heard the SC2s, I was blown away. Although the detail of the new cables was only about 15% better, the dynamics were scary. Hit play and out of the silence a snare drum can literally knock you out of your seat. The rise times of snares, cymbal hits, plucked strings, etc. are so fast and real that you are really there. 90 minutes and you walk away satisfied and drained from all of the emotion of what just happened. Other cables and you sit and search for things to notice in the music. The SC2s let you just relax and let the music come to you. The feeling of Regae or SKA basslines running up and down your spine had me sold on JPS Labs.
As long as your equipment is good enough to warrant the SC2 cables, try them. You will lose all the wander-lust of trying other brands again. These are going to be the last cables you buy. If you can't justify SC2 costs, then try a used set of the original SC or the new SCFX. I have tried them all, and any JPS cable is well worth it's price.

Purchased At:   usedcable.com

Submitted by Dennis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
Short and to the point, I have worked my way up from the Ultraconductor, Superconductor, Super+ and now the Super2.

I have tried many ICs in between on many different systems, but seem to always return to the JPS. They are just correct.
The gain from the + to the 2 is about 20%, and to me this is worth the extra cost.

JPS just makes the music sound better..............