Homegrown Audio Silver Lace Interconnect Interconnect Cables

4.33/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $190.00

Braided with 8 strands of 99.99% pure 26 AWG solid core silver conductors, Teflon insulation, Teflon insulated rhodium over silver-plated locking barrel RCA connectors, individually serial numbered

Submitted by afan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2005

Bottom Line:
I just want to offer a couple of notes to improve the silver cable.
1. the cable does not shield well. I cut my kids swimming noodle and place the cable through the hole. It makes big difference. According to stereophile, All power and signal cables shall be 4 inches apart.

2. The New WBT connectors shows a better connectivity on screw-tight then Soldering. There is a replica on audiogon called Johnson Audio. It is good and easy to use.

Purchased At:   wesite

Submitted by audionutz2 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
I've been looking for a "just-right" fit for my system for nearly 10 years. I think I might have found it. The presentation of this cable is silky smooth and the soundstage is remarkably wide. I've been switching out a lot of cables lately (Cardas gold ref, nordost spm, Kimber select) and despite most of them doubling or tripling the Lace's price, I keep wanting to plug the Lace back in. They're quiet, well made, and just sound the most natural to me. HGA has been flying under the radar for many years now. I think they're finally going to hit it big with the newest version of their cables.

Purchased At:   www.homegrownaudio.c

Submitted by bsc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
Above price and review is for used cable with LOK RCA terminal upgrade.

My first foray into high end interconnect cables was the purchase of the Harmonic Technology Truth-Link cable. The Truth-Link, however, proved to be anything but "high" end. The sound was extremely dull and 4 weeks of burn-in turned out to be quite fruitless as the cable was getting duller with time.

With my dismal experience with copper cables, I wanted to try a much livelier cable and heard that silver cables can deliver in this aspect. Will I can honestly say that the Homegrown Audio Silver Lace definitely does deliver in this area. Unfortunately, it was a bit too much of a good thing. The sound was extremely detailed in the high frequencies, but was a bit too bright for me. What stood out the most, however, was the very forward presentation of the upper mid frequencies. The prominence of this frequency range overpowered the, otherwise, very good reproduction of the other frequency ranges. The bass was very tight and reasonably full. Unfortunately, the strong forward presentation of the upper mid range became too much to bear. Listening through the cables was exciting to begin with but was very fatiguing to listen to in the long run. It was as if I was sitting in the front row of a nightclub, about a few feet from the band. This might be thrilling for the first few songs, but can be quite tiring in the long haul.

I feel that this cable would be a good choice, if matched with the right system. If one has a laid back system, this cable could possibly put some added "spice" into the system, especially in the upper frequency range.

Minor complaints include the following:
- extremely difficult to use locking RCA terminals
- cable a bit stiff
- Rhodium plating, on the center contact pin, seems to come off quite easily.

It should be noted that the above minor complaints may not be realized in a new, unused cable.

Due to the potential of silver cables for great detailed sound, I ended up buying another silver cable; the Silver Audio Silver Bullets 4.0. This cable turned out to be an audiophile's dream - very neutral, highly detailed sound and outstanding bass. The locking RCA terminals are the smoothest that I've tried and, as an added bonus, the cable is extremely flexible as well.

At times, I miss the Silver Lace's bold, upfront presentation, but in the long haul, I feel that the Silver Bullets 4.0 is, musically, a more listenable cable.

Purchased At:   Homegrown Audio Co.