DH Labs BL-1 SERIES II Interconnect Cables

4.63/5 (65 Reviews)

Submitted by vmed_cha_gr a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2010

Bottom Line:
I agree with most of the reviews here in a good way.
This is a bargain & in order to save money you can fix it by yourself.
It needs a lot of hours to burn-in, my conclusions here come after a lot of hours of listening.
Bass becomes tight, midrange detailed, excellent focus & liquid treble.
I compared it with van den hul & audioquest cables. I found it much more superior.
But again this is my opinion; comparison took place with my Audiolab equipment, my speakers & my ears at my place.
Put this cable to your list, it may suite your system well.
It is very well constructed too!

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Leghorn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2009

Bottom Line:
I use these interconnects exclusively. They use high quality copper conductors coated with silver, which is the best conductor material in my view. They allow all the music to flow through and sound great. They are a great bargain at less than $100 for a pair. I have some expensive components in my system, but I don't see any purpose in buying anything more expensive for interconnects than these. They are just as good or better than interconnects costing 10 times as much.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Eli a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2006

Bottom Line:
I had mine made with DH Lab RCA-HC, these are the best RCA connectors DH Labs have to offer, they are used on the revelation cables. In short these cables are great, I immediately noticed the difference. The music is more opened and dimentional.

Submitted by ugi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
Like the reviewer below, I purchased DH Labs BL-1 cables custom terminated with generic gold RCA plugs, rather than factory original cables from DH Labs. Therefore, take this review for what it's worth.

The BL-1 have been a little too pronounced in the treble for me. It was very noticeable as soon as I installed the cables, and was noticeable every time I swapped them back in. The 'S's constantly had a sibilant quality, and the bass seemed to get sucked out.

That said, the BL-1 did extract a lot of detail that cheaper cables left out. But this was mainly detail from the upper end.

I wanted to keep this cable in my system as technically, it was the most detailed. But it simply didn't make my system as enjoyable to listen to. I ended up going back to Canare StarQuad wires, which brought back the warmth to my music (but yes, lacks some of the upper detail of the DH Labs).

Be careful with system matching. If your hi-fi is already very rich in the bass and warmth department, the DH Labs BL-1 Series II might be the right thing to clean it up. But if you are wary of anything with a metallic quality, stay away.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Audioaddiction a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
Ok, after reading many a review on these babies I have to say I agree with most comments made. My interconnects are hand made with inferior non-dh lab connectors. They were infact badly soldered but I got a friend to fix it (there should be a complete coverage of silver solder-not just a blob- around the areas that need it, to stop oxidation and to increase longevity) That out of the way, I must remark on the small, but all imortant improvement to the sound of my system. My previous IC's were Cambridge audio pacific (yellow) and the reference black ones (about $100). I was trying to find inexpensive ways to improve my system (marantz cd6000 0se Ki sig, NAD C350, and B&W DM 303's) by changing cableing. The sound I had was lacking in pure clarity and sounded slightly blanketed the music became boring and seemed'box'. I blamed it on the budget speakers and amp. As soon as I changed my interconnects the blanket lifted and music became enjoyable and full of life. I found those sweet highs all the B&w DM 303 fans were talking about, much more clarity and openness to the music. There are some crap cables out there but these are top notch, if you can get em second or hand made over audiogon (insist on good soldering) the law of diminishing returns diminishes ;) and they become well worth it. I would urge you to try these IC's.

Purchased At:   Audiogon