BetterCables Silver Serpents
Description: Better Cables Silver Serpent Audio Interconnect Cable. This is an outstanding Silver-Copper hybrid analog interconnect (RCA Audio Cable) that is sonically revealing without the harshness associated with most pure silver interconnects. Perfect for DVD Audio, SACD and other high-resolution audio playback. The center conductor is 99.999% pure Silver coated copper and the bare copper braid shield has 95% coverage.

Submitted by JohnMichael a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
The Silver Serpent is the best interconnect I have found for a reasonable price. I purchased the model with the Bullet Plugs. The first benefit I noticed using this cable was the absence of grunge or ghosting. I was also surprised about the amount of detail the cable gives without being forward or bright. I was listening to Rickie Lee Jones and I could hear her intake of breath. My other cables had not revealed that before. I could clearly make out the lyrics in cd's that sounded unintelligible with my other interconnects. My NHT Super One's now sound like they have a bigger woofer and a better tweeter. I was on the web checking out speakers when I saw the link for Better Cables. I now can dely that purchase a while longer.

Purchased At:   www.bettercable.com

Submitted by cshev a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2004

Bottom Line:
Had a similar experience repacing Kimber interconnects. Almost foolishly sent back all Silver Serpents. No patience. I experimented with various expensive cables for my music and kept the silver serpents connected to my TV. After not finding anything that knocked my socks off, and finding my old Kimber not fitting well with my speakers,I was about to give up on the speakers when I began to realize I was enjoying the music in commercials, or anything coming from my TV. I decided to try the Silver serpents again on my CD player. WOW! Where did these come from?? You MUST give them time to break in. Take advantage of the full trial period! If not, you are missing something special. I'm not one to knock other people, but I would now feel like an idiot if I had given my last pair back after 72 hours. I tried to give all the more expensive cables a fair run of time, and had my Kimber for years, but these cables sounded way better than the Kimber after a good break in. Smooth, detail, good soundstage, non fatiguing. The only one that keeps my foot tapping when I don't even realize I am doing it. The only one that has made me sit back and just listen while I was trying to do other things. What more can I say? Don't give them back until you have given them a full chance.
I also have had their speaker wire for the full trial. (Replacing Kimber 8TC) They said I could send them back to bi-wire for a small fee but now I am afraid to send them off and any chance of ruining the magic that i have going on.

Purchased At:   bettercables.com

Submitted by Sanlyn a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
My Serpents have Bullet Plugs (+$20, worth it). I see varying reviews here, but I had poor luck on pricier stuff so I tried the Serpents. Initially grungy, after 3days they blossom nicely. Sonically they seem neutral, with a smooth, almost tactile midrange, a subtle hint of softening above 5khz but very detailed, believable highs. Good dynamics. Excellent width, depth, and even height (beating my $380 Kimbers!). Full, deep bass, if a pinch loose at times; kickbutt lows on disco and rock, extended and well behaved for jazz and classics. Lower mids have tuneful, more up-front and intimate vocals than my cold Kimbers or my $300 and $200 WireWorld silvers. There's a bare hint of compression on sharp transients and crescendos, but they're clean, with good impact. They trounce my AR's and $200 Monsters (goodby to M1000i's wacky tonal imbalance and wiry highs). Next to my Wireworld Equinox, the Serpents have more balanced mids, a bit more instrumental texture and vocal nuance, very slightly lighter upper bass, better 3D staging, while the Equinox seem subtley more solid in places but too aggressive overall. As for "detail": the Serpents tell me that the drums on Waylan Jennings' "America" are not dead center but spread center to left-center, 5 steps back; 2 cymbals waist high at left, another at right; two kick drums, not one. I hear Jennings move to and from his mike and strum guitar strings at his chest. The keyboards sit way back and just above my speakers' tops. With the Mormon Tabernacle Choir I hear specific voices across the far rear of the hall. I hear Jane Monheit lick her sexy lips between breaths. I don't hear quite the finesse of the Silver Serpent Digital Coax or my Equinox III's (a little neater here, a little tighter there, but I dislike all-silver's treble blast and anorectic voices). I rate the Serpents as a musical best buy that made me seriously question the much higher cost of Kimber, et al. Not the Ultimate Best (maybe Ed McMahon will knock on your door and bring heap big wampum for "the best"), but they're very, very good. A steal.

Preamp: Adcom GTP-450 & GFP-565, Dynaco Stereo A410 or Kenwood KA3600 amps, Denon 1650AR + MSB Link DAC III.
Phones: Beyer DT990 + Grado SR60, Speakers: B&W DM-302, PSB Alpha Mini, PSB Subwoof

Purchased At:   BetterCables.com

Submitted by Robert_73 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I use Bettercables Silver Serpents as a subwoofer cable and as analog interconnects for hooking up a DVD-A DAC to my receiver. I have entry-level equipment (Denon 2801, Toshiba SD5700, B.I.C. Venturi Speakers).

A 3 meter subwoofer cable cost $64 and is a terrific performer. The bass is tight and detailed and it improved a roll-off problem I experienced with my old IXOS cable.

I bought the analog interconnects because I was not satisfied with the upper range detail from Straight Wire Symphony II interconnects. The Silver Serpents delivered the detail I was missing along with great midrange and bass performance. The sell for $79 a pair (.5 meter).

Purchased At:   Bettercables.com

Submitted by cporter45 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the silver serpent audio interconnect which I am using for a subwoofer cable. This cable is definitely an improvement over the monster cable mb300 that i was using, and a huge improvement over the crappy audioquest G-string cable-why do they even sell this-it really sucks bad!!!- As a few other reviewers have posted I am getting a little less bass response tan the MC -but it is tighter a crisper-if that makes sense. I would much rather have accuracy than shear boom boom,but thats personal preference. If ya likey tha boomy boomy and are on a tight budget get a monster cable. If you want to upgrade for a little more precision call Bettercables and have them send you a silver Serpentaudio Interconnect. If your loaded then get cha a cable with the massive bbooom and sonic accuracy-Cardas makes some pretty good stuff-and so do many others. Stick with materials like Rhodium,gold or silver-the more solid the better of course. So Ill give these A 3
because I've heard alot better,but their performance exceeds the cost.

Purchased At:   bettercables.com