AudioQuest Turquoise Interconnect Interconnect Cables

3.57/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by Guoxiu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
I upgraded to the Turquoise from the cheaper Jade, and surprisingly I found myself hankering after the sound quality of the Jade. Technically, the Turquoise surpasses the Jade. It coaxed a wider soundstage from my CDP and was also sounded cleaner and more dynamic. Yet, it failed to involve me as much as the more musical, albeit noisier, Jade. One word perfectly sums up the sound quality of the Turquoise for me, and that's *a n t i s e p t i c*. Ugh.

I'm using a pair of QED Qunex2 now, and they beat the AQ in every department.

Submitted by Bill Conley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
Well, I found these cables on audioadvisor for $45/1meter pair. I decided that I needed to move away from the OEM cables that came with my HK FL8350. I put in 2 pairs and the sound was changed slightly. First I had some MIT terminator speaker cable that was modifying my bass. I swapped it out for monster cable and couldn't detect an ABX difference when switching cables. The placebo effect holds with all interconnects, so I feel better about my system for having larger cables.
My system includes:
Harman Kardon FL8350
Harman Kardon 710 preamp
Cary SLA 70
XLO ER-11 speaker wire
McIntosh LS310s
The speakers are slightly bright, but these interconnects didn't change this at all. As a physics major, the amount of power flowing through one of these cables is so small, that anywire can carry it easily. The shielding will help to protect me from 60Hz signals, but I doubt these are audiable.

Submitted by kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
The AQ Turqoise is reasonably priced and gives you a nice improvement over the radioshack interconnects I used to use. The bass is tighter and stronger. But if you have speakers, like my NHT's, that tend to be bright, stay away!In the overall tonal balance of your system, you can count on these cables to turn up the treble a notch or two. Be aware of this, but if you have a component or speakers woth rolled-off treble, they can be very nice.
I like my crisp highs as much as anyone, but with my combo of Yamaha and Kenwood recievers, Yamaha cd player, Panasonic dvd player, and NHT Superones, it was just too bright. However, I was much happier with Monster M-series interconnects on my system-about 50 bucks/meter and worth it. They sounded more neutral without any sacfrifice of detail of crispness in the highs. By, the way, I've had Aq type 2 speaker wire the whole time. I'm sure that's a factor.

Submitted by dave a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
From my testing, I think these cables are underrated. I put them up against both the Kimber PBJs ($78/pair) and the JPS Labs Ultraconnectors ($100/pair).
The Audioquest Turquoise sounded better than the PBJs. The PBJs were veiled. It's hard for me to imagine that the Turquoise were adding brightness. To my ears, with my Plinius/Rotel/Dynaudio system, the Turquoise sounded identical to the Ultraconductors (1M lengths). Since JPS prides themselves on producing absolutely flat, non-signal degrading sound, I think it's a compliment to AQ that they've managed to produce a flat-sounding cable for only $40/pair. JPS Labs might fault my A/B techniques, but I couldn't detect a difference.

Submitted by Denis Sureau a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 5, 1999

Bottom Line:
This interconnect is good for the price. On a cd player, it produces well balanced sound with crisp treble and weighty bass. The sound is airy and detailed. The resolution of timbre is good for the price. Soundstage is well focused, but is not ultimately big. When used between amp and preamp, the sound is not as good. It is a bit lean and bright. This interconnect makes a very good match with kimber pbj used between amp and preamp. A good starter!

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile