Wharfedale WH-2
Description: <ul> <li>Two 4" Drivers</li> <li>1.25" Dome Tweeter</li> <li>Gold-plated binding posts</li> <li>Dimensions: HxWxD 7"x20.75"x7.75"</li> </ul>

Submitted by M432 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2007

Bottom Line:
I use this speaker for the surround channels in my 5.1 setup, and also as the rear channels for 5 channel stereo listening. The room is 17' x 26' with a 8' ceiling. If the room were any larger, I would definitely like a larger more powerful speaker. To put it plainly though, considering the monetary cost of this speaker and how much it is used, it may be the best value in my setup.

It does a great job for such a small speaker. I have experimented with the placement of the speaker several times, and at the direction of the dealer, found this to work the best:

Place the speakers two to three feet above the listening position in the rear corners of the room. Face one pair of the drivers in toward the opposite speaker across the back of the room, and one pair of drivers toward the front of the room. In some respects, this eliminates the need for the rarely used surround back channels by moving sound across the same directions, with fewer speakers.

Purchased At:   JSG Audio Video

Submitted by bcgator a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2005

Bottom Line:
This may be the best audio bargain of the century. I'm in a small apartment, with no room for rear standmounts. So I decided to get some wall-mounted dipoles for my surround sound system.

I'm running B&W 805 Signatures up front, with a B&W HTM2 center and ASW 600 sub. My goal wasn't to try to match the build and/or sound quality of the 805 Sigs; after all, they're $3500 speakers and it's not fair to expect $89 Wharfedales to be in the same league. I just wanted something that would work well for the occasional action flick or surround sound concert DVD.

Would you believe that the Wharfedales sound great, and fit the system very well? In fact, the Wharfedales are the 2nd set of Dipoles I've tried. A set of Definitive BP1.2X are going back to the store tomorrow - they sound ok, but not as nice as the Wharfedales. And the Def Techs cost more than 3X as much.

The Wharfedales actually match up well with the 805 Sigs for tonal quality and sound balance - not that surprising, as both are British. The Wharfedales give up a little on the low end but have nice emphasis on the highs and mids, with excellent reproduction of female vocals just like the B&Ws.

Anyway, I can't believe I paid only $89 for them. I'm not sure why everyone isn't banging the drum for these things...probably people figure that for $89 they must stink. Rest assured, they definitely don't stink. And for $89, they're gems.

Purchased At:   BestBuy Plasma

Submitted by berkan a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2004

Bottom Line:
These speakers great for surrounds, I just purchased them. I was dissapointed first about the size, but after I listened them, thay are great for the price. I have a JVC reciever and I turned it up pretty loud about 75 (it goes to 90) and the sound did not distort I was surprised. I have to listen little more about 30 hours so, because they need to break in.

Purchased At:   eCost