Wharfedale Diamond 8.2

Submitted by john thompson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2014

Bottom Line:
My 60+ year old ears heard these little babies while auditioning them for sale in a private residence. The seller auditioned my older Polk Audio Monitor 5 jrs. An hour later and with a straight trade I was a happy owner of my Diamond 8.2s! For an inexpensive speaker these boxes offer good detail in mid to high ranges. My old Sony ES receiver spreads and separates stereo sound left, right and middle along my bachelor pad walls they are set up near. I find myself, as with all good sounding speakers wanting to listen, really listen-to them. Also, I've discovered good speakers produce sounds from time to time that are so life like that I MUST look up and listen to WHERE that realistic noise came from. My Wharfedale's approach the sound quality of some of my nice past owned bookshelf speakers, such as: Celestion SL6, Sonus Faber Concertino, Totem Rainmaker, Energy RC 10. To cite a few. I have been listening to stereo for over four decades.

Submitted by Fabian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2012

Bottom Line:
I've had these speakers a long time now and I still love the sound that they produce. Pair them up with a second hand Rotel integrated amp and a decent CD player (Marantz, Denon, Rega etc) and you get a system that sounds beautiful regardless of what the original sound quality is like. This is why I've kept this system despite upgrading to something more than 10x more expensive, they are just a joy to listen to.

In character they have a fairly sparse and detailed sound without sounding over-bearing. Bass is very tight (thanks to the kevlar) which particularly helps with the loose bass sounds in some old Reggae/Dub recordings. Even playing Boards of Canada through these speakers you get a great perception of depth and can hear many of the details you wouldn't hear on any other speakers I know of in this price range.

Downsides are: Flimsy dust covers (sometimes rattling with music so best to take them off when you're knuckling down with some loud/serious listening. When coupled with an amp with punchy bass characteristics, you'll find the ports blast you with air (which is great in summer).

All in all, if this is your upper price limit and you're not wanting to use them for mixing music I'd settle with these speakers and try out some different cables to fine tune the sound.

By the way... I realise I'm reviewing old speakers but I'm so disappointed with the more recent 9, 10 etc series of speakers that these deserve some praise.

Submitted by guarrana a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought these on ebay for $100, with $40 shipping and handling. They're fantastic speakers for the price, with very warm and lush treble and tight, punchy bass. I have these setup with an Infinity PS 8 sub, and they sound awesome together. These are the truest audiophile speakers you'll get for the price.

Submitted by Chatpong a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought this pair of speakers without audition and never listened to any Wharfadale speakers before. I bought just because I read a lot of good reviews in here, and the look of it. I actually was going to buy the Mordaunt Short Avant 902i as I have listened to many models of the MS. But instead I bought the Diamond 8.2 which was one the many biggest mistakes I have made over the past few years, again!

The bass sound is very boomy, which I hate the most. You would need quite a powerful amplifier to drive the Diamond 8.2. If any thing less than 50 watts amplifier, the sound sucks with definite boomy bass. To correct the mistake, I use bigger amplifier which was 120 watts Yamaha Class A to drive them and the sound became much better. But it was all wrong for me as I first wanted them to be used in my working place at home on the day I had to work late on the paper works and I end up with huge amplifier.

Why many said they were so good, I do not understand.

Purchased At:   Thailand

Submitted by tjohnusa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2006

Bottom Line:
I purchased this speaker without any audition capability. For what I paid for these I am extremly pleased. I am still breaking them in but I found them to sound good right out of the box. I am running them with an 8" Klipsch sub and have found them to be a great jazz speaker. I have found some vocals a little thin but am hoping this will open up after break in. I am still "playing around with positioning. I am currentley running them off of 30" spiked medium mass stands and have yet to really crank them. Once again for the closeout price I paid I can easily live with the flimsy grills.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor