Polk Audio RTi4
Description: Why settle for vinyl speakers when you can have the warmth and beauty of real wood at the same price? RTi Series features real wood at vinyl prices. Clean lines and radiant metallic details contribute to the superior fit and finish of the new RTi Series Bookshelf Loudspeakers. They deliver superior dynamic impact in smaller cabinet sizes, with no lack of patented Polk Audio technologies, for use as main/front speakers, or direct radiating surround speakers, in high performance A/V or music-only

Submitted by bmwrider55 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
For the money, this is a fantastic speaker that is worthy of using quality source and electronics with. This speaker will reveal the strengths/weaknesses of the upstream components. Its sound is characterized by an articulate and detailed midrange, smooth extended highs, and surprising bass for such a small cabinet. It also is very dynamic sounding - I keep thinking I'm listening to a much larger speaker!!
My taste in music is varied - I listen to everything from classic rock, to folk, to Baroque and chamber music. The RTi4 excells at all of these. It is particularly adept at acoustic music and vocals. Obviously a speaker of this size and price has it's limits - so all of my comments are in the context of the size/price. But I can honestly say that at this price point and even well beyond, these are the most pleasing bookshelf speakers that I have heard(to my ears!).
Lest the reader assume that I am a neophyte with limited experience and poor equipment - I have been an audio enthusiast and musician for over 35 years. The RTi4s are currently being driven by a custom built $1700 EL34 tube integrated of 50 WPC and tube output(6922) CD deck. My other equipment includes NAD C162 preamp, NAD C272 power amp, NAD C342 CD deck, Magnepan MG 1.6QR speakers.
The RTi 4s are an excellent buy.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by virpas a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
I read a lot of excellent reviews of this speaker.But I have my opinion,based on my experience. This speaker has a lot of power, good for home cinema,but not for music( for electronic music,some rock would be OK,but exactly not for classic), unnatural Hi-frequencies, somesing unnatural in middle range.Highs too bright, bass and highs dominate in sound...Similar sound-Infinity- Primus line, bass and highs dominate,some people like it,but! sound should be natural in the middle range and highs. That speaker-not.Same problem has Infinity Primus.
And this speaker has some "plastic" character of sound.Probably manufacturers have to go back for paper woofers.Not highest quality of sound,but but speakers not too expensive,so,what we want? I put 4 stars for worth of money and 3 stars for sound.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by curtycurt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2008

Bottom Line:
I Purchased thIs set of Polks after reading two very positive reviews at(AUDIOREVIEW AND STEROPHILE). Both reviewers nailed it concerning the RTI4. The sound these bookshelf speakers produce is very coherent and musical with excellent balance.The soundstaging and imaging are very good as well. The mid-range is gorgeous and the highs are very detailed and sweet!! Bass is excellent for a bookshelf speaker. I have two sets, plus the CSi3 center, paired with an OUTLAW LFM-1Plus subwoofer (the single best value in a subwoofer period!) My revceiver is a SONY AVD-C700ES w/DVD/SACD/CD combo player with S-Master Pro digital amps. The synergy of this system is sublime. Home theater performance can compete with systems costing multiples of the RTI4/CSI3 combo. However it's the musicality of this system that's its strong point. IPolk has "knocked it out of the park" with this combo. Well done Polk!!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Mark of Cenla a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
These are great little speakers. I bought them for my bedroom system, so they are used only to play music. For that, they are very good. All the music sounds very natural and balanced, including bass drums, bass guitars, etc.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by stereo55 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
Good little speaker . Clear clean natural highs and decent base for its size . I mostly use the RTi4 for a small bedroom HT system and they do an xint job . I have them matched to a CSi3 center and using RTi28's for the rears . The RTi4's are good enough that I will soon be purchasing the RTi6's as fronts and move the 4's to the rear . All-in-all a very nice speaker for my HT bedroom system .

I should mention that the 4's (or any RTi speaker) do need about about 100+ hours of break-in to calm the tweaters to a more natural sound . After the break-in period your good to go !

Purchased At:   Crutchfield