Polk Audio RTI38
Description: POLK AUDIO BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS, 20-150WTS, 6 1/2' => Model RTI38

Submitted by Grant a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have these speakers setup with an Arcam rDAC via USB and then connected to my Onkyo Integra DTR 7.7 receiver. They sound awesome. I previously had bought some B&W 686's and I actually really loved those speakers as well, but the price was way to high and I was able to score these on CL for about $80. So I did a thorough comparison over the course of a week. I thought actually that these sounded a little better so I returned the other speakers. I have been super happy with them. They are a little bright for my ear but I toned them down a bit with the settings on my receiver. If you can find these for the right price I would highly recommend them.

Submitted by invisible a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
Very heavy speaker construction, Incredibly sturdy, and easy to set up. These speakers handle low end like nothing I've ever heard for the price or size. The RTi6's dont have the range or capacity for a real music lover in my opinion, unless you like acoustic and a lot of high end. Most people compare them to Bose, which i believe are warmer, but these are better in sound quality. They handle nuance very well

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Licenseduser a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2004

Bottom Line:
Very solid construction. These bad boys are heavy. The bass response really surprised me. While not a subwoofer, perfectly fine for music listening. More than I expected. The highs are clear and crisp. 5 way binding posts allow for banana plug use.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by newbee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
Excellent soundstage. Exceptional build quality. Great for both music and home theater.
Originally, I was one of the millions impressed by Bose acoustimass systems. However, 2500 was a bit too much for me. So I set out to buy a reasonably priced HT system which could at least match the LS28.
I opted for Polk RTi38 for fronts CSi3 for center and RM2350 for surround. Coupled with Onkyo SR701 and Velodyne Sub this system far outperforms the Bose LS28 at a little over half the price.
I had planned to upgrade the fronts to polk LSi7's in case RTi38's were not satisfactory. Needless to say, they are more than adequate as fronts.
For some reason I am not so impressed with their recent replacement the RTi6. May be because of its obtuse shape (9" wide and 15" deep!), but my prediction is that the RTi6 will not sell as much as the 38s.

Submitted by ragehammer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
these speakers are extermely listenable. some say overpriced, i can tell you they out perform most speakers under a grand. finish, and build quality are first rate. a good friend of mine owns b&w 805 nautilus. at 1500 the pair, they have a slightly better soundstage, and are more refined sounding. but for extended listening, the polks are better. my friend agrees. there has to be trade offs. matt polk must be a real music lover, because most of the speakers polk has made over the years, offer just that. long term listenability. and i know of no other company that offers this buid quality for the price. these are by far the most inexpensive speakers that have an acoustically dead enclosure. in listening to infinity, klipsch, and paradigm, i've always heard some cabinet resonance at these price points. matt polk continues now more than ever to offer the finest stuff available at a given price point. some other speaker may jump on your ears at first, but in the long run these win.

by the way, i see often people mention the word audiophile. being an audiophile is a state of mind, and not the equipment you can afford. many affluent friends have asked for my advice over the years. when i ask them why, i'm told that if i can put together excellent sound on my budget, i can surely do it on a cost is no object basis. i love music, and am very thankful for this site, please purchase your speakers from a vendor that allows a 30 day listening window. because an hour or two at the store gives you no idea if the speakers are right for you.

Purchased At:   circuit city