Polk Audio R15
Description: Here's an economical answer for anyone who's been asking "How can I afford great Polk speakers?" The compact R15 bookshelf will fit in almost any room, and the price is definitely right. But even more attractive is the sound you get from this versatile bookshelf speaker. The 3/4" Dynamic Balance® dome tweeter teams with a 5-1/4" Dynamic Balance woofer, for clean highs and satisfyingly full mids and lows. The keyhole slot on the back of the cabinet makes for easy wall-mounting. <p /> Key Features : <p /> <ul> <li>video-shielded</li> <li>bass-reflex</li> <li>frequency response 65-20,000 Hz (-3dB)</li> <li>8-ohm impedance</li> <li>sensitivity 89 dB</li> <li>handles up to 100 watts</li> <li>black vinyl finish</li> <li>5-way binding posts</li> <li>6-1/2"W x 10-5/8"H x 7-1/4"D</li> <li>warranty: 5 years</li> </ul>

Submitted by thesurfer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2009

Bottom Line:
Ive owend a pair of these for about 7-8 years,,,, they are small,,, But the sound is incredibale,,,, !st,, they have to be broken in,,, it took me about 30- 40 hours,,,, of playing them at modest levels,,,, After that,, all hell broke loose,,, Im using them as mains in my liveing room, hooked up to a HK, reciever,,, Once i tweaked the controls a bit, and activated my loudness control,,,, These things were smoking the room,,,, I couldnt believe what i was hearing,,,, I played Led zeppelins debut cd,,, under half volume,,, and not only was there no distortion, but the sound stage, imageing and tightness, was unreal,,for a speaker this size,,, People say they have little bass responce,,,, Not with my HK,,, Sure, if your into booming thick, almost distorting bass,,, these arent for you,,,,But if your looking for a book shelf that delivers everything over the entire sounstage,, you cant go wrong,,,,You will need a high end reciever,,, they feed on power,,,, also,, need to be brokin in, Ive compared these with other polks that cost a lot more,,,, no comparison,,,, and ive Had the titans,, jbl, cerwin vega,,, advent,, and a few others over the years,,,, these little polks smoked them all in different ways,, No distortion, at higher levels,, no exagerated high end, or bass, like the titans, and cerwin vegas, and no dead flat sound,,, like the jbls,,, which, like the advents,, distorted quickly,,,, Basicly,,, for the money,, these are the best bookshelfs out there,,,, I tried the moniter 30s,,, and they simply sonded much more airy,, not as tight in the bass, and somewhat harsh, on the high end,,,, of course they have a slightly bigger twetter,,,, The trick is quickness,, and tightnes, which combines for a better sound stage,,,,At the end of the day,, its each to there own,, as every one hears things differantly,,,, Ive got a friend, who just bought a piar of tsi,s200s, He says he still envys the sound im getting out of these cheap speakers,,,,,,,,

Submitted by aargonaut a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
These are an inexpensive speaker made in China. I purchased them on sale for half price as a replacement for some Acoustic Research AR 215PS speakers which I had been using on one of my computers. (I have been really unhappy with the ARs.) Between the computer and the speakers is a 25 year old 40 watt/channel Harman Kardon HK495i stereo receiver. Since the Polks are being used as a computer speaker, I didn't want to spend lots of money.

The cost, size and weight of the Polk and the AR speakers are almost identical; however, in my opinion, the Polks sound much better. The ARs are harsh and brittle. The Polk uses a 1" soft dome tweeter which is much smoother. The use of a good tweeter improves the midrange as well.

They do sound a bit hollow, which I guess is due to the lack of any baffeling material inside the box. This can be fixed easily: I went to the local sewing shop and picked up a $2 bag of fiber fill used to make stuffed toys, took off the woofers, shoved a fair amount of the fill inside, replaced the woofer, and the speakers no longer sound hollow, and are moderately warm sounding and easy to listen to.

There is not much at the bottom end, which is not surprising given their size. (The literature says they are -3db at 65Hz.) They also do not have great power handling capacity. They would also benefit from an inexpensive subwoofer. Since they cost almost nothing, they are well worth the price in an inexpensive system.

Purchased At:   Fry's Electronics

Submitted by mariahholt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2006

Bottom Line:
The speakers from my multi-media computer setup died on me one day, the amp for the speakers was still good. So I ordered these online after reading good reviews on them. Ive had them for about 6 months now.

Purchased At:   Circuit City Online

Submitted by Sal30 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
I purchased these when they were on sale. At first I wasn't that impressed with them, but once I broke them in, they sounded incredible. I still think that the Jensens were a better deal because I got them new for $21.18, but the Polks were one step above. I actually bought the legendary Athena Point 5 MKII system later, and I didn't think the sound was as good as the Polks so I sold the Athena system on Ebay and bought one Polk Csi25 Center and another pair of Polk R15s, and I will buy another pair of Polk R15s the next time they go on sale to complete my 7.1 channel system. I love my Athena AS-P4000 Sub, but the Athena Point 5 was just outclassed by the Polks in my opinon. I love how you can set an 80hz crossover with no problem with the Polks, but the Athenas had trouble and they sounded much tinier than the Polks.

Purchased At:   OUTPOST.COM

Submitted by calegrant a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
I was planning on continuing my use of Athena and went in to look at a set of athena bookshelves when I saw these. $100cnd is a hell of deal for these guys, they have great clarity for the price and I've heard no distortion. They match my floors nicely, and with the addtion of a sub next month my starter system will be complete

Purchased At:   Futureshop