Mission MSM71BK
Description: Mission Bookshelf Monitor Speaker - MSM71BK/ 2-Way/ Inverted Drive Geometry/ Bi-Wire/ 5-Way Gold Plated/ 65Hz - 20kHz/ Magnetically Shielded/ 88 dB Sensitivity/ 8 Ohms/ Anthracite Black Finish/ Price Per Pair

Submitted by ugi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
I've been happy with the Mission M71 speakers in my apartment stereo setup. They sound neutral and refined, and it seems that Mission has incorporated nice build quality and a full host of features into an affordable speaker.

But I think I will soon be replacing these for slightly larger speakers. The M71s seems somewhat limited in soundstage and depth. I never really got the feeling that the music was coming from anywhere other than where the speakers were placed. The listening experience was pleasant, but not totally immersive.

I still admire the M71s quite a bit, so I would probably move them to do duty in a smaller room.

My setup:
Cambridge Audio Azur 540A integrated amp
Cambridge Audio Azur 540C CD player
Canare StarQuad interconnects
Canare 4S8 speaker cables (bi-wired)

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by nickmtl a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the M72i but I also used the M71i. Absolutely incredible speaker for the size and money. Yes there are better speakers out there, but at a higher price. I use the Mission Stance stands and they sound and look amazing.

They're not the last word in detail or bass but both characteristics are present and accounted for. Worth every penny at the regular full price and even moreso at a discount price.

If you have fancier equipment, get a fancier speaker but for most folk, they're more than satisfactory.

Purchased At:   The Stereo Outlet

Submitted by Brett1162 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
The Mission M71 had excellent reviews. Bought on spec without trialling them.

They were more than impressive. Moved up from Wharfedale Valdus 100's, and the difference was phenomenal! The usual story of hearing instruments I'd never heard in my CD's before. Depth and clarity was immediately apparent.

A year on, I still love them and wish to move up a level. Have considered the Mission 780, which has excellent reviews. Just got to find a 2nd hand pair. Love the Mission sound!

Purchased At:   New Zealand

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great small speaker, I traded them for my klipsch 3.3. I needed a small good speaker to fit in my small room. They are great, I have two sets. Good for movies and music. I have it set up in a two channel setting

Purchased At:   audioclassics.com

Submitted by rli a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
Terrific small speaker best used on a rigid stand. Very cheap but I think for the money the best speaker there is. Tight bass, very clear mids and highs and almost no distortion on high listening levels. also lot's of detail and easy but exciting on the ears.

At first i used them as surround speakers, but now I have replaced my front mission 774 speakers by them. I always noticed a slightly shrill and sharp treble by the 774's. Now I used the 774 as surround speakers. My room is small so smaller front speakers are better suited.

Set-up:

Rotel RC-03 pre-amplifier
Rotel RB-03 power-amplifier (2x)
Arcam alpha 8SE CD-player
Sony 840 Dolby surround receiver
Sony SA-5ES Tuner
Sony NV-900 DVD-player
Loewe Contur 2070 4:3 70 cm ctv
Philips VR-1100 S-Vhs VCR
Oelhbach and Vdh Interlinks
Cable talk speaker cable
Soundorganisation support racks (2x)
Philips .... satellite receiver