JBL N38
Description: Northridge Series Hometheater Shielded 3-Way Floorstanding Speaker - 8" PolyPlas Bass Driver, 4" PolyPlas Midrange Driver, 3/4" Titanium-Laminate Dome Tweeter

Submitted by JBL N38 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2012

Bottom Line:
I needed a decent pair of stereo speakers for my upstairs den and I found a mint condition pair of these on an online audio classifieds site for $90. The guy was upgrading and priced these for quick sale, and at that price I didn't think twice. Brought them home, hooked them up to my Yamaha Natural Sound stereo receiver (100wpc) and played some Santana. I was smiling ear to ear, quite happy about my recent deal. The sound is warm and bright, with a natural sound stage and good stereo imaging (at 5ft apart). The tweeters are crisp and articulate and the midrange sounds smooth and matches well with the tweeters. The 8" woofer on this model does a great job in the low frequency end, I was surprised by the amount of "thump" these things have. While the bass isn't the deepest, it is abundantly present in all music on these speakers (I even have to turn the bass down on my receiver from time to time, depending on the music). One feature I like is the front firing port. It was impossible for me to put these in corners in the room I have so this front firing design came in handy as the low frequency response on these speakers is not influenced by corners/wall proximity as much as rear ported models would be. The build quality is very good, sturdy cabinets and quality materials (albeit plastic for some parts), and they have a nice look to them. I could see these being easily 4-5 times what I paid, so with that in mind, I give these speakers a 5/5!

Submitted by JohnMogambo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2010

Bottom Line:
Excellent speakers. Ton of bass, good highs. Still strong after 8 years of heavy use.
These are powered by Denon 1802.
Sound great for music and home theater.
Earlier, I had the JBL MR series and they sounded great as well

Submitted by joe2m a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
For the price these speakers sound pretty good. They tend to be alittle bright but this quality alone would not stop them from having an excellent rating. This area is subjective, some like brighter speakers some like softer. The point I don't like about these speakers is a mid-range distortion that appears at moderate or higher volumes. This doesn't show up in all music I listen to but I find it aggravating when it shows up. When compared to my American Acoustics speakers they don't come close. I can push my amps as hard as I can and I have difficulty getting any appreciatable speaker distortion with the AA speakers but the JBLs die off. I am currently refurbing some Genesis Physics II speakers which I think are extremely good speakers. You can find an old pair of Genesis or EPI speakers for much less than 300 dollars and these will not disappoint. The technolgy hasn't changed much in speakers in the last 40-50 years and you wouldbe better off finding vintage speakers than purchasing anything under $300 from anybody. With the possible exception of Human Speakers. These are made in the Genesis/EPI tradition and the cheapest one of them will smoke anything in the $300 range or less. I will probably keep these speakers for my basement stereo but my 14 year old AA's will remain my mains.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by pkkiran a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have made all kinds of research before buying these speakers, and haven'nt seen even 1 negative review. Although some people tell you to buy Paradigm/Energy etc speakers, you will have to listen to the N38 first to appreciate it.
First thing, you DO NOT need a subwoofer with these speakers, they put tons of bass if you can adjust bass in your receiver. But getting a sub is always a good idea for home theater use. For music, these speakers do not need a sub.
Very good highs and mids, with excellent bass. I am very happy with these speakers.

Purchased At:   Bestbuy